For New Yorkers, are you going to play it safe and not use the subways this holiday season?

Please do, I know it's an unsubstantiated threat but better safe than sorry...right.

Here's the story

http://fieldnotes.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/11/26/1689848.aspx

SheriSanchez

Asked by SheriSanchez at 6:17 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't mean in a paranoid way don't use the subways, but if there is an alternative, well use it. Hopefully this is just a joke and not for real.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 6:51 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• these threats come and go so often since 911 that most new yorkers don't take it to heart. The NYPD however, deploys every available officer. (the force consist of over 38,000 cops) I'll be in NY soon and will use the subway. Ido hope that people at least are more aware of tehir surrondings.

"A Pakistani immigrant was arrested and convicted for a scheme to blow up the subway station at Herald Square in 2004. There was also a planned cyanide attack on the subways by al-Qaida operatives that authorities say was called off in 2002; another aborted al-Qaida plot to destroy the Brooklyn Bridge in 2003; and a plot to bomb underwater train tunnels to flood lower Manhattan, which was broken up in 2006 by several arrests overseas."

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 6:52 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• It's nice of you to be concerned. I really mean that. But how on earth would the city function if nobody used the subways? Even a 25% drop in subway use would have a catastrophic impact on the mass transit system in NYC. There just simply aren't enough alternatives. There aren't enough cabs and buses to carry all the people who would otherwise ride the subway. And cabs are way more expensive, so a lot of people just simply can't afford to cab it for the entire holiday season. I worry, too, but we can't let a terror threat stop us from functioning normally.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 6:55 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• i agree BlueFrogMama "The city has more than 450 subway stations that handle millions of commuters every day."

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 6:57 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My DH will be traveling to NY after the holidays for business.....even tho it's after the holidays...it doesn't make this small town girl feel any better.

Anonymous