The doctor recommends tofu for our 2 year old son because he will not eat meat. I have never prepared it so I really need easy prep ideas since it is for him and I have 3 other little boys to feed. Thank You

(I am a member of the Juicy Bunch)

ncmommy05

Asked by ncmommy05 at 10:19 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I wouldn't give him too much tofu since it is very high in natural estrogen and should be eaten in moderation. I would give the boys eggs which are very high in protein instead of risking the health effects of tofu. Google "Tofu Dangers" and read before you go crazy with tofu. GL.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:23 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• shirataki noodles :) you can find them in the vegan section of the store, they come in a pouch of liquid and you basically eat them like spaghetti. they're made of tofu and i think they're really good with a little butter and spaghetti sauce. and because they're much healthier than regular pasta you can eat so much more
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 10:23 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• You can marinade it in whatever your are fixing other meats in. It can be fried, sauteed, and even baked. So it can be made right along with the other meats you are making. Just remember to get firm tofu, it holds up better.

Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 10:22 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• The estrogen thing is true but I think if your DR was worried he/she wouldn't have told you to give it to DS.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 10:27 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• these are what they look like. just drain, rinse, boil for literally 2 minutes and ad w/e you love to ad to spaghetti. they're about 2 dollars a pouch but they're really good

momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 10:29 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Unless the tofu is organic, you can't guarantee than it is non-GMO.

There are other great sources of protein, like beans, lentils, quinoa, whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, etc.), mushrooms, and so on. You can find a complete listing here: http://www.soystache.com/protein

I will be happy to share recipes with you (we don't eat meat), just send me a message

Answer by rkoloms at 8:08 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• And when my daughter was small, I would give her tofu cubes, with a little soy sauce to dip it in. I make tofu "fish" sticks:  http://shmooedfood.blogspot.com/2006/01/tofu-fish-sticks.html

Answer by rkoloms at 8:10 PM on Mar. 26, 2011