7 year old and diapers....

I have a package of diapers for when I keep my nephew one night a month. My 7 year old has been stealing these diapers recently and taking them to the bathroom to pee in them! What the heck is going on!?! I don't get it. He can't be jealous of the baby. I don't keep him very often. He just tells me "I don't know" when I ask him why.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• maybe its a cool feeling to him?
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:52 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• maybe he's just doing it to figure out what the diapers are about. or for fun in a way.
    i'd explain to him why the baby needs them and why he doesn't and then hide them and see if he just uses the toilet regularly.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:52 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Its just a weird fascination I'll bet.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:52 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I wouldn't worry too much, unless he starts regressing and wetting the bed, and /or peeing his pants. He's probably just curious about how diapers work, so he's experimenting.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 10:55 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• my 5 yr. old SS does the same thing with my son's diapers, but he poops in them as well. and he does it to get attention. even though he does get attention. he also does that after he has peed in his bed. what's worse is he hides them in his trash can after he's used them. he never gets away with it because I'm the one that cleans his room..
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 11:06 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Id put them in a spot he can't get to....ontop of the fridge, or in a high up cabinet.... if he cant get to them, he cant go "play" with them
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I would imagine he's just experimenting. Kids in general, but specifically boys, tend to experiment about what they can pee in and what-not. Especially at your son's age. I'd just put them out of his reach.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:23 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Whip his butt.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 1:16 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I think he is experimenting. I would put them out of his sight and reach.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 5:08 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I think it is just curiosity. Maybe if you and him checked them out together and talked about why babies need them and why big boys dont then he would get it. Maybe just do an experiment and let him pour water in one and see what happens. Then I would also tell them that they are expensive so we cant play with them because babies need them. If this doesnt work then I would do as suggested above and put them out of reach.
    I never had this problem but I have seen little girls be curious about sanitary napkins. They dont really understand what they are for but they know mommy uses them and are curious.
    berryhappy1971

Answer by berryhappy1971 at 7:54 PM on Mar. 26, 2011