Stephen King... Amazing writer, or is his work just the same old plots, places and too padded out?

Honest opinion please!
I've been reading Stephen King now since the age of 11 yrs (Don't ask, stupid Step father) and I've come to realise that his work seems dull to me now, filled with pointless lines of c$"p, where I'd just like him to get on with the story! I really enjoyed 'Night Shift', a collection of short stories, by him. I think his work was better back in the day (Before his wife started helping him, and before his stories got soooooo long).
I'm not a hater of his work. I love most of his old works.
I just wanted to know if anyone else feels the same as me?
Please tell me your favorite books of his.

LaraHappyMummy

Asked by LaraHappyMummy at 11:04 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Entertainment

• He IS NOT the writer he once WAS. It's mostly fluff and slight variations of the same old plots to me.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:19 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I have been readin his work from the age of nine until now almost forty he rocks
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:07 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I enjoy much of his work spanning the decades. I know there are a lot of people who feel that his writing changed after his accident possibly due to a brain injury (or maybe just getting older?). I prefer his writings in the kind of early-middle stages, if you will. Some of the newer stuff (namely Duma Key) isn't bad, but I really didn't care for Cell or Lisey's Story. Under The Dome was so-so.

One thing that really irks me though is his inclusion of his political beliefs all the time. Also the way that he uses kind of the same type of villain over and over...always some fundamentalist Christian crazy, who is also a hypocrite. This same character (though not on purpose) seems to appear repeatedly and it's really...old. And unimaginative. My complaint about it isn't due to the fact that it's a Christian or that his political beliefs are leftist, it's just that I'm tired of reading about them, KWIM?

Still, he's my favorite.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 11:11 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Too much haterade for you Stephen King is the bomb and has a way with words I as a writer admire and hope to get widom from.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:06 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• maybe you've just outgrown him, or familiarity has caused boredom. i still find him fascinating..and i swear, i could pick out one of his stories blindfolded..but i like the familiarity of 'knowing' an author.
    like james patterson..his stories read alike, as well. but that doesn't diminish their words. its why authors have fans..they like what they read, and how they read it.
    my fave SK story? if i'm going on being personally creeped-out, it'd be "IT''. i never liked clowns, anyway!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:10 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Too much hatred for me??!! What the...?
    I was merely asking a question??!!
    I feel that some of his stuff is too padded out, even Stephen King himself has said that his work isn't perfect, and that in fact he thought some of his own works were c$"p!!!
    LaraHappyMummy

Comment by LaraHappyMummy (original poster) at 11:10 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I loved Bag of bones. So well written... :o)
    It's Under the Dome I'm having a hard time with, as with Cujo...
    LaraHappyMummy

Comment by LaraHappyMummy (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I like Stephan King and think he is a great author. you have to have somewhat of a corrupt mind to come up with the things he does. but he is great.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 11:14 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Oh, and some of my favorites are:
    Salem's Lot
    The Dark Tower series
    Different Seasons
    Desperation & The Regulators
    Hearts in Atlantis
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 11:14 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I agree with you, OP. His work in the '70's and '80's is amazing, unique, soulful. I hate to say it, but ever since the man got sober, his work is a lot more derivative and moralistic. I hated Gerald's Game and Rose Madder, pretty much zero potential for re-readability. Ironically enough, I think his best book was The Tommyknockers, which is the work he did when he was the MOST on drugs, plus it's really about addiction and addictive behaviors.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:15 AM on Mar. 26, 2011