How did Obama pay for his Ivy League education?

College is spendy and Ivy League ones are very spendy. I just wonder how Obama coming from a very modest home funded it.

There are no links...it is my business because he is the President and that means he works for me...I can't imagine why this questiion would need to be a bash fest. :)

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 11:10 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• He didn't for the most part, and neither did Michelle. All those issues came out before the election, scholarships and grants for black students.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:11 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Probably the same way any other person from a modest home pays for an Ivy League Education- scholarships,grants, loans and hard work.  I didn't realize you had to be "rich" to get a good education!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:26 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• No mystery there, grants and scholarships......

Answer by older at 11:13 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Jewjewbee I am a biracial student still considered black and there are only loans for me so most of the black people I know have loans and maybe a pell grant.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:15 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• vbruno, we went to Hawaii ( MyH had an R&R while serving in Vietnam )and rented a car and just drove around. Hawaii is like any other place---varied homes and neighborhoods and plenty of MODEST homes (Little ones, less that 1000 square feet,for example) Isn't it funny how we assume ? Just because Hawaii is an exotic sounding place, Island ,you ASSUME that all the homes are big and expensive and wonderful? Hahaha.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:21 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• And student loans! I think I remember Michelle Obama saying something about student loans.

Answer by gemgem at 11:13 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• The same way you pay for other expensive colleges.

Work, loans, grants, scholarships, etc.

I went to a state school--my parents did not pay. I worked all through college but I didn't have loans to pay later. My DH went to a private college and although it wasn't Ivy League, it was expensive. His parents did not help. He got grants, loans and scholarships as well as worked to pay for it.

If you have the drive to do it, it can be done.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:18 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Very few people pay full price out of pocket for any college or university-

I have a friends kid that was accepted to Harvard and that school has so much money that basically- if you can get in on merit and make under 150K you go for free- yes, for free-no loans or anything- I believe there are other schools that are similar-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:23 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Well, if he didn't have a modest upbringing why did his Mom die of cancer because she couldn't afford the medical treatments?

yourspecialkid

Comment by yourspecialkid (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I think he received scholarships/grants as a Foreign Student. He obviously still had his Indonesian citizenship because he used it to gain a Visa to travel to Pakistan in 1981. I think this is the reason his college records are sealed.

I honestly don't care if this was the case..I do care about coverups though.
    yourspecialkid

Comment by yourspecialkid (original poster) at 11:28 AM on Mar. 26, 2011