If A Step-Mother/Step-Father Adopts a Step-Child. Does that mean the only Mother the Step-Child has is the Step-Mother who Adopted the Step-Child. And the only Father the Step-Child has is the Step-Father who Adopts the Step-Child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Adoption

• It means on the birth certificate they are listed as the bioparents even if they arent. Emotionally if the child knows his parent and that ends with w TPR and adoption then that is a different story. But legally you would be that childs only parent.

Answer by gemgem at 11:26 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• No it doesn't. The birth parent will always be the mother or father. Laws may remove legal parenting but they do not erase the mother or father.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 5:01 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• The step-parents significant other must adopt their bio-child in step parent adoption proceedings, too. So does that make them real or unreal to the child as well?

No matter what the adults and law do to our *title* papers, we'll then have an extra parent in step parent adoption.
    OTT is right, you can't erase them. There is no such thing as an EX-mother
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 2:15 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Too many people believe and wish that adoption is about subtracting someone from a child...
    If it really was in our best interests- it would be about addition.
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 2:32 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• No it just means that the child has one or more person that love them very much and will be there for them.
    TishAnn752

Answer by TishAnn752 at 9:27 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• If you legally adopt a child, step or otherwise, that eliminates the bio parent from being a legal parent. It is up to the legal parents to choose whether they want to continue to include the previous parent in the child's life.
    tns87

Answer by tns87 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Legally, if a child's parent dies and a step-parent comes along later and adopts that child, then the bio-grandparents through the deceased parent are no longer legally related to the child! Chew on that one for a while. My first-in-laws had to take this into consideration when writing their wills and specifically name my kid as an heir because technically she in no longer their granddaughter. Cool right? Good people find ways around stupid laws.

Anonymous

• I completely agree with tns87.
    SheIsMySunrise

Answer by SheIsMySunrise at 12:24 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• not sure
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 10:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My step dad adopted me when I was 35, so he is legally my dad. He has been the only father I have ever known, but my birth father and I still talk. I actually agree with adopteeme on this point that "Too many people believe and wish that adoption is about subtracting someone from a child...If it really was in our best interests- it would be about addition."
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 12:30 PM on May. 1, 2011