Help

My dd has had the virus for a few days, Brought her to the doctor and she will not take this medicine I had to hold her down and force it down her throat , I bribed her and everything and nothing works ....I'm in tears typing this I feel awefull and she just doesn't understand she has to take it ..any advice or tips I could really use them !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• he had to actually give her the dropper to let her take it.. she just didnt want us doing it.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:29 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Mix it in something she likes to drink, or if it is a pill, break it down and mix it with fruit, use your imagination...

Answer by older at 11:30 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I tried that :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• aww i am sorry, i had to hold down my kids before it was horrible, i hated it.. they hated it an eventually they started to take it.. good luck!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:30 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I think i will try mixing it next time
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Mix it in vanilla or chocolate pudding
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:48 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• By mixing a medicine into something else you dilute it and reduce it's effectiveness. AND you teach your children to be wary of what Mom/Dad give them to eat or drink. Be up front and honest with your kids, they'll get it. "Sally, you need to take this medicine right now. It doesn't taste the best, but it WILL help you feel better" I've done that with my kids since they were little and now, when they're on a med, they remind ME that it's time to take it; they're 4 and 7 1/2. Another thing to try with liquid medicines is to gently, in small squirts aim the dropper towards the back of the cheek. Not trying to choke or hurt your child of course, but by squirting at the cheek your child is less likely to spit the medicine out.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:59 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I'd also call the pharmacist and see if there is anything he/she can do with the flavor. Good luck and hugs to you!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:05 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Ive tried being honest and its not working she could care less about feeling better , this was the only flavor they had( im from a small town they dont have flavor options at the pharmacy

thanks for the back of the cheek tip
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I'm sorry... My daughter has always been really good about taking medicine... We just go on and on about what a good medicine taking girl she is... The dropper in the back of the cheek always helped us to get her to take it all.
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 12:59 PM on Mar. 26, 2011