I just started rice ceral and my son if having HUGE poops every2-3 days. He seems to be contipated. Is there anything that I can do??

SuzannaJ

Asked by SuzannaJ at 6:35 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I gave my son prunes... They have some in stage 1 baby food and if he wont eat it u can put it into a bottle and add alittle water... or u can give him so apple juice
    Pooky_mommy

Answer by Pooky_mommy at 6:37 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• NO!!!.. dont give him apple juice. her son is only 4months old, hes not suppose to drink apple juice yet... or any kind of juice.

As long as its no baby juice dont give him this stuff. The best thing is tea. When we started on cereals with our daughter she always got her cereal and a small bottle of tea. Its very important that you give him lots of tea or REAL baby juice with every cereal meal.

and he needs some time to get used to the new food (the cereal), thats another reason why he is constipated. It will get better after a while. almost every child has the same reaction on first solids.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Dark Karo syrup in his bottle...like a teaspoon or less. Not to much for it's pure sugar, but it will help stimulate him to poop :) This is what my local mom's line advised me to do but if your not sure and it looks like he's having painful stool, then you should call the doctor. Also...not to be gross...but you can take the end of your rectal thermometer and stimulate his but a little...sorry
    jessicer421

Answer by jessicer421 at 8:01 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My dr recommended watered down prune juice, for her constipation and it worked at first, then we added baby prunes, and then we had to go to straight prune juice, and now I am making my own prunes at home and this is working better than anything else I have tried. We would have a bm every 3-4 days and we have a blowout once a day. Rice cereal is binding because it is a heavy starch, you could even make your cereal with prune juice. If you don't find something that works call your doc.
    Karo is not recommended because it can contain mild traces of ecoli.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:24 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• When you say HUGE poops, does that mean a lot comes out at a time or that the poop is literally huge? The act of constipation means straining to make a bowel movement, not having a big amount of poop or even skipping days. This could be normal due to the starting of solids and for a baby 4 months of age, you shouldn't be giving them anything more than water if you are worried about constipation.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 12:42 AM on Nov. 27, 2008