3 years old....

My ds just turned 3 on the 11th, and he has problems saying his "Ls" and "Ss" like "lion" is wion or snake is nake. He can make the sounds of the letters, but if he tries to use them in words, he can't. Should I be concerned, or just keep working with him?

BabyBugsmama

Asked by BabyBugsmama at 11:45 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My advice...just speak clearly to him. Don't correct HIM or his speech to him directly. He is saying what he thinks is the same as what he hears. If he says "wion" meaning "lion"...repeat back "Oh, the Lion" or whathaveyou. Many schools of thought on this suggest it will correct itself in time. He is still very young...and I would not be alarmist about something like this. If you know he understands and is using language to communicate, then that is the most important thing.
    I have a friend who had a 2 year old checked out for speech because he wasn't talking at all...and the therapist said "he clearly understands what is going on and is connecting it all. Just give him time.".
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 6:24 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• just keep working with him.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:48 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• nothing to be worried about!.. keep working with him, could possibly get him into speech they work wonders!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:53 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• You can also "exercise" his lips/ mouth...have him blow bubbles, drink from a straw, throw kisses. If you think about it, you need to use your tongue and back of the teeth to make those sounds. Has he seen a dentist? Just to be sure there are no problems there.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:02 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My daughter just turned 4 on the 13th and still won't say all her words the right way. She's a stubborn one. S, G, Ch, Sh, T, C/K, are the first sounds that come to mind that she'll use a "duh" for. I KNOW she can do it, I hear her loud and clear when she's playing/fighting with her brother, she just won't. *sigh* I work with her and make a point of trying VERY hard not to translate for her with other people, to get her to say things the right way. To me, it's a matter of my own stupidity. She's had 2-4 years to say things the WRONG way, and I let her, so now I'm trying to fix my "mistake".

Example of her speech: The Seattle Sounders MLS soccer team was playing the Huston Dynamo last night. As soon as she saw the Sounders she yelled: Doh Dounder Doh! for Go sounders Go!
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:10 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Just keep working on them. My daughter does the same thing. Her teacher was worried and had her tested for speech. She didn't qualify. I wouldn't worry about it unless they have concerns when she starts school. They said it was perfectly normal to leave out some sounds until they turn 5 or 6.
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 12:53 PM on Mar. 26, 2011