Do you think at some point people will have to accept lower paying jobs?

A recent question got me to thinking about jobs and unemployment. I decided to see what was available in my town. We do have jobs. They are lowering paying jobs though. As a business owner we frequently get people coming in "looking" for work..not really wanting what I have available but needing a sign off for their UE.

I just wonder if when the UE does run out will people at some time accept a lower paying job or will they go on govt assistance?

Your thoughts please.

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 11:46 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• We have a sign on our front door that says "now hiring" the size of a truck. If someone even LOOKS like they'll fit the mold- Not 800 tattoos, or hair, dressed in appropriately fitting business casual, the restaurant goes into crisis lock down mode trying to keep them in the door.

I'm not even kidding.

As a waitress, I'm not exactly low paid, either. I average 20 bucks an hour. Yes, you read that right, but I can only work two days a week...sometimes three if they're desperate and one of our parents are available to watch the kids, but restaurant work is not exactly coveted employment. No one WANTS to be a waitress. (except for me, evidently, I love it. I get all pretty and feel like I'm going to a party. Which is why I make so much money doing it)

I don't know. My scope of view is limited. I just wish that people would realize that some things are good, honest work, even if they're not prestigious.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:01 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Only if the government stops extending unemployment.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I work 3 "low paying" part time jobs.. it was either that or not have the money to pay my bills.. it sucks but it had to be done!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:47 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My son who recently graduated with honors had to take a low paying job in his field because there were no options, yes, people will eventually see that a lower paying job is better than no job.

Answer by older at 11:50 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• maybe when unemployment benefits stop getting extended. whats the point of getting a job if you are getting paid to "look."
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:56 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I take whatever job is there in a time where people cannot even get a job I feel I should not be so picky
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:56 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Do you think at some point people will have to accept lower paying jobs?

Yes
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:02 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• A job is a job to me. I'm not too picky. I inspect barracks for a living. Need I say more?
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:48 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Well my husband worked for the same company since he got out of HS and was making a good amount before being laid off. After that any job in the same line of work was being offered at 1/3 less then he normally would have earned. He ended up HAVING to take it, and earn less money. We didnt have a choice. Sometimes I think these companies are purposely doing it.

Answer by gemgem at 12:01 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• It will eventually affect everyone. Businesses and those who are now highly compensated would also eventually be affected. Everyone A-OK with that prospect? It's coming
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:05 PM on Mar. 26, 2011