I'm worried. What should I do?

My son is almost 8 months old. He usually eats 32oz of formula a day as well as 4-6 jars of 2nd foods a day. The only thing he has eaten in the past 48 hours is a jar of squash. The doctor has told me before that he isn't going to starve himself, and that he will eat when he is hungry. Well, today a few hours after eating the squash, he vomited pretty much all of it up. We called the doctor's office, and they said that it's probably a virus. The nurse advised us to give him pedialyte, but he won't drink it either. I have tried giving him every flavor made. He won't drink anything, and he won't eat anything. I don't want him to get dehydrated, but I don't know what else to do.

kwhite0609

Asked by kwhite0609 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How long has it been since he has taken a sip or anything along those lines?
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 6:39 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• have you tried giving him regular juice just add alittle water... cause it has a little natural sugar he might drink it cause it taste sweeter
    Pooky_mommy

Answer by Pooky_mommy at 6:39 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• if she dont eat or drink anything soon i would take him to the doc or hospital.... so he dont get sick or sicker
    Pooky_mommy

Answer by Pooky_mommy at 6:40 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I was asking the how long question, because if it's literally been a long time since he's drank anything I would take him straight to the hospital because the can rehydrate him there.
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 6:41 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• It has been about 3 hours since he had a sip of pedialyte, but that is all..... just a sip. When I try to give hime something he pushes it away and shakes his head no. I have also treid to give him diluted juice, but he doesn't want that either.
    kwhite0609

Answer by kwhite0609 at 6:43 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I dont know a single doctor that woudl advise to give your child any kind of medication without looking at the child. Go get a better doctor for your son.

Anyways, my daughter did the exact same thing for almost 2 weeks. I went to the pediatrician after 24hrs of my little girl not taking any food and barely anything to drink. The doc checked everythign and then told me that this is just a phase and i needed to try something different. So we came up with the idea of giving her drinks a different way. She didnt take the bottle, so we tried sippy cup, but she hated those (and still does lol), so we tried a straw and voilà she drank from the straw. She still didnt eat anything, so we tried everything she could possibly eat. Dry bread-rolls is what she chewed on for a few minutes.

The vomiting could be from the squash, if thats all he ate since so long. i wouldnt eat this stuff on an empty stomach either. yuck
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:47 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• How about a Popsicle? Sometimes they are fascinated with them and will at least eat one or two.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 6:59 PM on Nov. 26, 2008