No poop ???

my son is 16 days old n hwe hasnt pooped n 2 days, should i b worried n run him 2 the emergency room or can it wait 2 go to the doctor on monday? is there anything i can do at home ?

dbarkley101306

Asked by dbarkley101306 at 12:03 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Run his legs when you change diaper.. I think it is 3 days...if concerned call his Dr. emergency line.
    Anonymous

• if he doesn't go in 3 days call the dr. You might want to try massaging his belly gently, give him a tiny bit of prune juice mixed with water...wouldn't use a suppository unless directed by dr but when my daughter was about three months old I had to use them on her.
    Sessy89

Answer by Sessy89 at 12:11 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• he is gassy ( whew it smells bad) but hes not pooping ... hes fussy n he wakes up as soon as i put him n his bed, we were up every hr on the hr lastnight till 7 am when i just decided to hold him n sit n the rocking chair n rock him, idk what 2 do cause i hate that hes crying so bad like hes in pain ,,,
    dbarkley101306

Comment by dbarkley101306 (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• is he a breastfed or formula baby? either way just massage his belly, warm bath, i've heard that inserting the tip of a qtip and kinda "massaging" it (god it sounds horrible ask around about it sorry) ive heard breastfed babies CAN go days with out pooping.
    Liebevoll_mami

Answer by Liebevoll_mami at 1:17 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• what do you do for feeding? some formulas can do that
    augboy11

Answer by augboy11 at 5:01 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Is the baby breastfed or bottle fed? My daughter is breastfed and we just had this issue a few days ago. She did not poop for 4 days then pooped on the 5th day and it was a doozy!!! She was not uncomfortable though, her tummy wasn't hard and she wasnt fussing more than usual. She was extremely gassy, farted non stop for days-STINKY farts!!! I finally stopped checking for poop everytime I smelled something funky cuz it never was a poopy diaper it seemed. She did end up going and its been about 2 days sicne then and she hasnt gone again. Breastfed babies I heard can go 1-2 weeks without pooping. If you are concerned call your pedicatrician and see what they say, good luck!!!
    TattooedMama87

Answer by TattooedMama87 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• he is breastfed, hes having the beyond funky gas but no poop, hes fussy more than usual, his tummy isnt hard at all, i called the doctor n he said 2 give him a teaspoon of karo syrup n a 2 oz bottle of breastmilk n he should go within a few hrs
    hopefully something works cause i hate seeing my baby like this hes only 16 days old n i just feel so helpless when hes so fussy
    dbarkley101306

Comment by dbarkley101306 (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Im so sorry! My daughter went through this too and she JUST now is startin to poop on her own and she is 5 months. These are the things i had to do. Hopefully one of them helps.

Try Molasses (sp?) 1 tablespoon in 4oz bottle..that usually got her to poop but only once.
    1oz juice mixed with 1oz water. Pear or Apple juice is fine. I gave her this everyday, that kept her regular.

When she would cry from being constipated like your son has, i would use a suppository and just put the very tip in her bottom and massage around to get her to poop. Make sure you keep Vasoline around his bottom because if you don't, he may tear when a hard poo comes thru. Thats what my doctor told me.

I hope this helps!
    Good luck hun!
    Mommy103110

Answer by Mommy103110 at 3:18 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• No poop is normal for a breastfed baby. Breastmilk is well used by the body with practically no waste.

Do NOTHING... leave him alone. Gassiness is normal, too. And so is fussy.

NO KARO! It's a botulism risk. Sadly your doc is often the last person you can go to about this. A breastfeeding-knowledgeable doc would tell you to count wets and not worry about poops unless baby is in outright pain with a hard tummy.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:02 PM on Mar. 28, 2011