What all can u file bankruptcy on?

My husband and I are planning on filing for bankruptcy and I was wondering what all you can file bankruptcy on. I know that credit cards and medical bills are okay but what else?? We have past due stuff that was turned over to a debt collector and stuff from doctor's and I have student loans out. Can we file on any of these? Is there a website to go to to find out what all you can file on?

OneChance

Asked by OneChance at 5:18 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Money & Work

• call a lawyer in your area that deals with bankruptcy and check with them... its different in each state
    mfialdrdickhaus

Answer by mfialdrdickhaus at 7:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I know where we live, Illinois, you can claim bad checks, medical, cc... but Illinois can't claim school loans, either way you have to repay them...
    Illinoismomof_3

Answer by Illinoismomof_3 at 7:27 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Yup you can NOT bankrupt student loans in any state. If you could, everyone would Go to college on a loan and file bankruptsy. The CC depends on how you were using them before you filed. Talk to a bankruptsy lawyer. Just because you file for bankruptsy dosnt not mean that one of your creditors wont file an appeal with the judge. now a days LOTS of CC companies file an appeal and win and you still have to pay them. talk to a lawyer.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:02 AM on Jul. 10, 2008