Does 16 and Pregnant/ Teen Mom Glamourize teen preg. or show the real deal?

For the exception of maybe Caitlyn and Tyler, who gave their child up, and it showing what they had to deal w/ afterwards. And maybe Leah and Corry, dealing w/ the medical problems and scares that can come w/ having a baby. And maybe Janelle, who showed how easy it is to lose custody if you're not taking care of your responsibilities. I guess I feel the shows kind of downplay the sacrifices that have to be made, the financial struggles, especially when you're a teen, and the true loss of your "teen" years, so to speak. In SOME ways, I kinda feel like SOME girls may see the show, and "try" to get preggers, just to get on it, and get their 15 mins of fame, w/out fully understanding what they are getting themselves into. Teen mom seems to focus more on relationships, than on what actually goes in to taking care of a toddler. Thinking that maybe a follow up show might be good, when the babies are 2 and 3 yrs old, and going through the fun phases of tantrums, and potty training etc. That may deter a few girls from getting preggers. lol. I was 16 and a mom and my life seemed a bit diff. than theirs, besides not having cameras. lol

HappyEndings

Asked by HappyEndings at 12:06 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Entertainment

• O my gosh I'm so glad someone brought this up. My 19 yr old daughter and I just had this discussion this morning. We both think those shows are encouraging young teens to have babies. Young teens don't see the reality behind it. The show is not teaching anyone anything.....that's what my daughter and I think
    bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 12:10 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Me being a teen mom and having 2 children, is sooo much more different than what they glamorize on TV. Most of them have it made in the shade. They don't show the TRUE sacrifices you have to make, the struggles, the breakdowns, the emotional breakdowns u have when u have a child as a teen. The true financial hardships, struggles, and baby daddy drama for some of us that have it, yeah kailyn and w/e his face is are going through a battle, but really,...that's nothing compared to some. I love the show, it didn't air til' AFTER i was a teen mom, BUT i love it because I KNOW its JUST TV. I would never use it as a form of BC for a teen to not get prego.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 12:11 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• This is so true. I watch this show and have from the beginning. I too was a teen mom. I think some of it is real but I seriously just read this morning that teens are trying to get pregnant to get on teen mom. AHHHH!!! These teens seem to have a lot of help. A lot of them have childcare for free from family members and seem to hardly ever even be with their kids. What the?
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Teen Mom shows the Train wreck of Teen parents. I think that it does a better job at NOT glorifying Teen Pregnancy because you can see that 90% of the fathers in the show are not there. They are fighting with their parents they can't keep a job,go to school, get married because they were not ready for a baby in the first place. I think JUNO glorified it more than Teen Mom did. I think most smart level headed teens do not want to be pregnant at 16 because they have seen this show.
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 12:32 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I think shows like Friends and Reba show parenting as simple and not demanding. Think about it... you rarely see Rachel with the baby and going through all the things mothers go through. On reba, her teen daughter's baby is hardly ever on screen. They are always downstairs and there is no baby around.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• W/out trying to sound catty staciepi, I disagree, but am still glad that you posted your opinion. :) I see it on the news quite a lot. there was even a movie, based on a true story about a bunch of girls in a small town high school making a pact to get preggers, because they thought it would be cool to be a young, cool, best friend type parent, and they wanted all their kids to grow up together, etc. Last yr. there was a city that was having a similar prob. w/ teens, saying they were bored and had nothing better to do than to have sex, and if a baby comes out of it then whatever, because they could handle it, they babysat, so they knew how it would be to have a baby. And that was before they realized that they could become famous on top of it all!! That's why I don't agree. :)
    HappyEndings

Comment by HappyEndings (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• What does this have to do with Food & Drink?

Higher powers that be, please re-categorize!!!
    Anonymous

• lol Anon!! I clicked on entertainment in the category thing. Must of messed it up w out knowing b4 it posted. sorry. lol
    HappyEndings

Comment by HappyEndings (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I don't care what they show on tv, it's up to parents to teach their kids how hard it is to be 16 and pregnant. Can you blame CSI when someone kills someones else?

I think adults need to step up and make it clear that it's tv, there for drama and entertainment, not to teach a lesson.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 2:49 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I respect your opinion!! :) My parents def. taught me to abstain, and taught me right from wrong, gave me good morals, etc. They wouldn't let me ride in cars w/ boys, or be alone in my room w/ boys. And I still became a mom at 16. It is our job to guide our children and try our hardest to teach them right from wrong, and give them the foundation to build a good life off of. But.... kids also have minds of their own. I don't expect tv shows to teach my kids lessons, however, it's kind of like when my 2 y/o watches Sesame Street. He's learning about colors and numbers, and Elmo is a kind of super hero to him. Some teens want to be famous. (lol. a lot of adults do too). And they see these girls taking off and on the covers of mags. and being seen by the world, and it can seem like an easy way to get famous, and get attention, when really they don't know what they are getting themselves into because it doesn't show true hardships.
    HappyEndings

Comment by HappyEndings (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Mar. 26, 2011