My oldest is 22 yrs old. She's become obsessed with tattoos and piercings. Believe it or not, the tats, are of ridiculous subjects. For example, she put the characters of the CandyLand board game, down her arm. She's got like 15 tats. I dont want these to restrict her career choices. How do I deter her from further tats, without provoking her to get more, to retaliate??

JLP2009

Asked by JLP2009 at 12:10 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• As an HR Director I will let you know that tattoos are no longer the career kryptonite they once were. I can't speak for all industries, but as the one who is responsible for hiring special education teachers, RN's, occupational therapists, physical therapists & speech & language pathologists....tattoos, piercings, etc are never a factor when I'm deciding who to hire or not. Good luck.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 7:04 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I am forty by the time I get done I will have a full back tattoo and sleeves. What kind of profession is she going into? I am a writer and in nine months a welder. So if she is going to be a teacher or something she should consider how hard it might be not difficult or impossible but how it might be harder because of this.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Theres nothing you can do. If she likes it then she will continue to do it until it is something that is directly affecting her life. My husband has tattoos and piercings and lost his piercings because he had to in order to get a job. His tattoos are still there, and now days believe it or not companies are not as strict about tattoos.

Answer by gemgem at 12:34 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Wow... I feel your pain. At 22 there really isnt anything you can do. HOWEVER, if she is living at home she must move out. If this is how she chooses to spend her money (and tats are not cheap). Then she best grow up and move out. IMO

Anonymous

• My DH has a both tattoos and piercings, and he was very into getting them at a younger age as well(he is 30 now), and everyone warned him that he wouldn't be able to get a job and whatever. Yes, there were certain jobs he could not get, but he wasn't really interested in them. Once he got a little more settled down and we started our family, he took out his eyebrow piercing and wore long sleeves and got a 'real' job. lol He is now a supervisor in the food industry, and most of the guys he works with have a TON more tats than he does, as well as piercings all over the place. There's really nothing you can do, besides pretending you don't really care or you like her tats, and hope that works to stop it. lol Sorry Mama!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:14 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• No, she doesnt live at home, Im on west coast now, she on east. Otherwise, Id throttle her, just joking! LOL. She had a boyfriend that was a tattoo artist, of all things. Thanx
    JLP2009

Comment by JLP2009 (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• She told me yesterday, that the only piercing I ever tolerated, her bellybutton, because it was discreet, was no longer used...for it got stretched out too much when she was pregnant with my grandson, whom was born at almost 10 lbs.
    JLP2009

Comment by JLP2009 (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• There is not much you can do, she is on her own and an adult, she will realize this as a handicap when the time comes, and although it might be too late, not much you can do, but say I told you so.......

Answer by older at 12:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Although I have younger daughters...I would have to say the more you disapprove and tell her what you think, my opinion is she may retaliate and get more. Now that she is an adult she feels as though she has free rein of her life. I cant imagine how hard this must be for you..I hope I have helped at least a little
    dolphingoddess

Answer by dolphingoddess at 12:34 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I heard that tatoos can become addicting. you may want to check into that.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2011