How do I get him to potty train?!?

My youngest son will be four years old tomorrow and has yet to potty train. The older three were SO easy. They just woke up one day and wanted to wear underwear and never looked back. Matthew however, knows what he's supposed to do, just doesn't have any interest. I have tried rewards, discipline, and nothing works. Any advice? I'm so ready to ditch the Luvs! lol

mlynette81

Asked by mlynette81 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• not sure if this works with 'older boys' but how I got my son into it was:
    I had a simple plastic cup (juice concentrate/ lg. yogurt cup etc) and he would pee in it, then pour into toilet.
    I guess it made it interesting for him, and less difficult to aim or reach the big potty. THAT is a concept you may not have heard yet, and perhaps he'll enjoy it- Decorate the cup with his favorite stickers - maybe a new sticker each time he does it right!
    After ten or 12 stickers, he can pick out a new package of underwear... and of course, Iron Man doesn't want to be pee'd on right?
    Carrie131

Answer by Carrie131 at 1:27 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• There are a number of ways to help him "get in the mood" to potty train.
    1. take him to the store to pick out the coolest underpants he can find for himself.
    2. take "group trips" to the bathroom. Have 1 or more of your older boys go to the bathroom, clap for them and get all excited - have as many sons that are willing to do this as possible, then when the older brother is finished (or dad, or mom)... then say "do you want to try?" - it is important not to put pressure on him, this should be a "his choice" event. Eventually he will want to get in on the action.
    3. make it funner - put some cheerios or fruit loops in the toilet and tell him they are targets. See if he is interested in trying to hit them with his pee.
    4. just do it - take away the diapers & pull ups. Sure you'll have a mess for a while, but make the switch and don't say anything about it. He'll get the hint. Just say "you're a big boy now."
    1Katrina

Answer by 1Katrina at 3:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Stop buying pull-ups they are a waste of money and they are just like diapers--be consistent and keep reminding him(every half hour if needed) and praise him when he does go in the potty---my sons both learned by sitting down at first and then mastered standing later on. getting them trained to poop in the toilet takes longer then peeing.

I would not put him back in diapers that is like taking a step backward. Be consistent and remind him every half hour if needed get some "special" undies and let him know that he has to keep them dry or you will have to bleach them and then they are no longer his "special" underwear. Be consistent and patient pooping in the potty always takes longer to master then peeing. Good luck and God Bless
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:14 PM on May. 21, 2011