Home Furnishings

Where do you find good quality yet affordable furniture for the home? I am looking for a kitchen set and finances will only allow Walmart or Target

virginiamama71

Asked by virginiamama71 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Home & Garden

• here we have a couple of VERY nice upscale consignment stores. Or you could look at an unfinished furniture store and use a little elbow grease to make it perfect for your home.

If money is tight I suggest you be creative. Walmart and Target furniture are not only cheap in price but in quality too. You will have to replace it MUCH sooner than if you save a bit and buy a good piece... or creatively find something. Better to pay more ONCE than to constantly replace cheap furniture.

Anonymous

• Have you tried a thrift store or yard sales? I bought my living room set from a local thrift store, it was brand new and I bought couch and loveseat for what I would have bought just the loveseat. Just a thought, you could find a good sturdy table(if that is what you are looking for) and refinish the surface to get rid of any blemishes.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:53 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Crate and Barrel and Pottery Barn both have some really reasonably priced furniture!
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 1:05 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• We have a bargin bin around here. I'm sure if you look you can find one too. It's where Lowes and Home Depot send items that are slightly damaged. my friend just got a very large stainless steal refrigerator. some tube in the ice machine was broken so they couldn't sell it at the regular store. She got a 1400 dollar fridge for 800 bucks and the peice that needed to be fixed was fixed by the company. they do catering buisness so they wanted a really big fridge but that is just an example of the deals you can find.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 1:08 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I agree with the quality issue of walmart and such. I bought my table YEARS ago at an antique shop and only spent about $150 or $200 for the table and 4 chairs, and they are beautiful oak...and sturdy, which is important with kids.

If you don't have that around you, I would definitely look at used.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:11 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I agree with things from walmart are cheap in price and the quality is CHEAP to. There is this lady that I new and goes around to places that have garbages and sees what people throw out and if it is still good and sturdy she takes it home and fixes it up.
    jnb71584

Answer by jnb71584 at 1:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Wal-Marts things are pretty equal in quality to Targets, but much lower prices. Go online and look around. If you find good sales you can do better - check out Khols.com, even Sears or JCPenney. Craigslist will sometimes have stuff, and definitley consignment stores - you can find some real treasures sometimes!
    Anonymous

• I definitely wouldn't get anything from Walmart unless you are able to check out the quality and are satisfied before you buy. You can always go to yard sales or consignment shops, or look in the paper or on Craigslist. We have one of those ladies around here that fishes things out of the trash and fixes them up to sell.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I've found that a local Goodwill sometimes has overstock from Target and they are priced at least 75% from the original tag. Refinishing isn't that hard but do watch for items that could possibly have been painted with lead paint. Walmart does have free shipping to the store and have much more selections online. Kmart in conjunction with Sears sometimes have great sales especially when college kids go back to school. There are also antique and salvage places that could possibly have what you need or sold separately and need loving care.
    Philly247

Answer by Philly247 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Goodwill, Big Lots, or Salvation Army
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:17 PM on Mar. 26, 2011