If you were an atheist/someone who did not believe in an immortal soul would you share your beliefs with your children?

I'm just curious really. One of my friends tells her children there is no god, there is no heaven, there is no anything really beyond the here and now and it does upset her children, especially as there grandfather has recently passed away.

I'm not sure if I believe in anything but I tell my kids that they will go to heaven, that people who die will go to heaven and heck I even tell them that our dead pets go to heaven.

What's your view on this? Do you think this could damage children, as I know her children are very scared now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am not an atheist and i would fully expect them to share their beliefs. If it is their fervent belief then, although I 100% disagree, I would fully expect them to share it with their child.  That is called parenting... to raise the child with what you view as the truth.

One of the nicest, sweetest, kindest women I know is an atheist... i think she is 100% wrong in her beliefs but she lives a FANTASTIC life and her kids are GREAT.  I would be shocked if she didnt raise them with the same belief system that she lives by.

Anonymous

• I'm not an Atheist, so it would be very hard to answer from an Atheists perspective. I'll give you a bump though.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:13 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I feel very bad for those kids.
    I am Episcopalian and always tell my daughter that when you pass on there is some place special for us.
    Even if someone does not believe they should still try and comfort their child/children. Put their minds at ease.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 1:15 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I'm an atheist and my kids know I don't believe in any of that stuff. Why wouldn't I share my beliefs with my kids?
    Actually religion and beliefs are rarely brought up in our house. It just doesn't come up. My kids don't care about religion and neither do I. Christmas and Easter are 100% secular. There is no mention of religion, although if they ask I explain why religious people celebrate but explain that's not why we celebrate. It's just a non-issue.
    I would never lie and tell my kids there's a heaven when I don't believe it to be true. That's just wrong.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:24 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• couldnt an atheist ask the same about a christian sharing beliefs??

if an atheist believes 100% that the idea of God is false and completely wrong that people go on... wouldnt they wonder how in the world a christian could teach their children these falsehoods?

I think it is hugely naive to believe that someone would not choose to teach their child what they believe as truth.

Anonymous

• Just curious justanotherjen but what do you tell them when death occurs? That's my main worry/problem.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• thank you justanotherjen (funny name btw)... I am the same anons as above. And I appreciate the in put.

Anonymous

• To anon who talked about truth, I'm not talking about the truth I'm talking about comfort. Are you telling me you've never lied to your kids about the Easter bunny or santa? Surely they're the same sort of lies if you are an atheist as lying about heaven. My friend's children are in a very big state about it all.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Young children by the way, not children who are above 7.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• You say Im so sad that grandpa died... but we have all the wonderful memories of him.. we know he was very happy when he was alive and we can always thing of those times when we miss him. We can honor his memory by living a good life and living the wonderful life lessons he taught us
    Anonymous