Booger issues

He's five,
he knows better,
there are tissue boxes within reach.
He makes a mess of the couch (three different back pillows)
covered in nose mess, and even though we make him wipe it down til it's clean with a wet cloth, HOW ON EARTH do you get the message across to prevent future mishaps?
I often find junk on the walls too, and I calmly give him the clorox wipe and sometimes it takes him 5 minutes before it finally comes off. I make sure he understands that if he hadn't have done it initially, then this chore wouldn't have been assigned to him. Why doesn't he OPT to use tissues? How old are they before they finally grasp this simple concept?

Carrie131

Asked by Carrie131 at 1:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• we went through a 'thing' with mine..some little girl in his class degraded him for using TOO MANY tissues, and made fun of him. (who knew boogers could cause such a self-esteem issue?)...so when i caught him wiping them on other things/sleeves/etc, he said that's how 'i can't remember her name' got rid of her's. i could tell he was really hurt by her scolding.
    i had to retrain him to use the tissues..and reassured him there were plenty of tissues in his class, and that she was the one in the wrong.
    ..kids!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:31 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• my sister is 25 and she STILL does that. ughh so gross!!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I'd spank for that. Seems defiant to me.

5 is old enough to know better.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 2:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My 2yr old does this! I was going to ask this question today because it is getting out of control. He wipes his nose in 3 month old sister hair! You should see me trying to come that mess out. He thinks we are human tissues. I am washing pillows and the couch down constantl. Glad I am not the only one going through this.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• If cleaning up after himself doesn't work them maybe taking something he likes away will.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 4:57 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I wait until he is in the middle of one of his games and is having a great time, then I turn off the game hand him a rag and the spary cleaner and make him clean it right then. It seems to be working more than anything else I've tried. I think I'm on to something.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:50 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Eww, that's so gross, but dd did it too. She finally stopped when she got tired of cleaning boogers off things.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:42 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I say keep doing what you're doing and if that doesn't work,add a punishment.
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 3:36 PM on Mar. 28, 2011