My daughter is 2 1/2, and potty training is a disaster! She doesn't mind being wet or dirty! Even after she goes in her pull-up she won't say anything. I need help where do I start????!!!!

kellyplus2

Asked by kellyplus2 at 1:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe she's not ready yet. Wait until she tells you that she's wet. Ask her if she's wet. Tell her to go get a diaper if she is. When she starts bringing you the diaper without you asking, she's ready.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 1:50 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I firmly believe that pull ups will never let them feel the wet as well as big girl underwear. I tried potty training in pull ups and my daughter didn't care either. The reason they don't make a mess everywhere is because they absorb a lot of that wetness. Even the ones that claim to let them "feel the wet" it's not the same. When I started potty training the second time (the time that stuck) she wore big girl underwear. I put a pair of stretchy pants on over that and then a pair of regular pants so that way it would reduce the amount of mess on the floors and stuff. I won't lie it was messier but she did not like the feeling at all. I also made her clean up her accidents.

I asked her if she had to go potty every 30 mins and we would go and sit either way. also we'd sit if she had an accident. It took 6 days and I was about to give up but then she went to MILs and asked randomly to go potty lol.. been good since
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 1:51 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• you know, Pull-Ups are a very expensive, impractical marketing tool for the diaper companies to just get the last bit of money from you before you opt for the underwear. I think having undies and a vinyl cover would be ideal- It won't mess their pants, but allow them to REALLY feel how uncomfortable it is. GRANTED, at age 2.5 she may not be totally ready, though my boy was PT at 2.5.....
    I think taking note-pad TIMES of when she does her #2 each day can prep you for a set half-hour SIT ON POTTY while Mommy/Daddy reads her a story, and perhaps has a light snack... Seriously PICK UP library books that focus on PT. she'll love them!
    Carrie131

Answer by Carrie131 at 1:52 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• EDIT: I mean library books for the CHILD, not for the parent... cute ones like "ONCE UPON A POTTY"
    Carrie131

Answer by Carrie131 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I My daughter just turned 4, and she's barely started, so age has nothing to do with readiness. I can get her to pee in the toilet, but she seems completely unaware of the action of pooping, and doesn't mind being dirty, so I can't help you with that..

However, one thing you might try is training pants (Gerber makes some, available at K-Mart). They're underwear with a thick crotch, like cloth diapers. The problem with pull-ups is that they are too absorbent. She probably doesn't know when she's wet. Try those, and see if that helps.
    Also, take her to the potty every 15 minutes and give her a single M&M (or something) if she goes.
    MariAnKenobi

Answer by MariAnKenobi at 1:54 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• You can get cloth training pants online - pull ups are a waste and completely confusing to children - they don't really feel wet and if they were diapered in disposable diapers then it feels exactly the same as their diapers. She also, as other moms have indiated, may not be ready.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 1:59 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• give her more time.. she will learn to dislike being wet or dirty.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:03 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I agree with the other moms. Take away the pull ups and let her really feel icky. Try doing that for several days to a week, and if she isn't bothered by that, then take a break from potty training and start fresh in a month or so.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:10 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My son was the same way. Then a friend of ours told me to relax and chances are excellent he won't go to Kindergarten in diapers. So I just laid off for awhile and only talked about it with him. He showed NO readiness. I let him walk around naked and he didn't stop playing when he went, as if he didn't realize it. So after a couple days I was tired of it. Dr said he'd get it eventually. At some point over 3 he got the pee down 70% of the time. 2 weeks before his 4th birthday he said he was a big boy and was ready. He pooped, stopped having pee accidents and stayed dry all in a period of a week. LOL. My point is, if she's not showing she's ready, give her time, she'll be ready when she's ready!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 2:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Im in the same boat with my 2.5 yr old boy! i'll say a prayer for you if you say one for me.... good luck
    brittt25

Answer by brittt25 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2011