Who else thinks it's wrong for these doctors to tell these kids they are over weight, and need to loose it when they def arent!

For example, my son is thirteen years old. He is 5'9, and 152. His doctor told him and I that he is over weight and needs to loose weight. Now mind you, he is in no way shape or form,even chunky. He plays basketball for his school, and is extremely active. His stomach isn't flat lol...but there is no love handles or anything. Anyways, I asked the doctor if he tells small girls that aren't even chunky to the naked eye, if they are big and need to loose weight? He said, he does...if the charts say so. Ok...so this is why we have girls, maybe b0ys starving themselves! I am so sick of the "chart". If they don't have diabetes, high cholesterol, etc, and they are def not fat to the naked eye...I think this needs to stop. These kids are going to start to think bad about themselves, and they are going to cause eating disorders in many young girls. Now my son..wants to jog every morning. I told him if he wants to, he can go ahead...to stay healthy, but he does not need to do it because he heard what the doctor said.

bellamommyof4

Asked by bellamommyof4 at 2:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't believe all the charts either. I totally agree with you. My sister took her youngest son to a WIC appointment and they told her he was overweight. You can see his ribs for goodness sakes. He's only four, he still has alotta growing left to do. I think this country is just going diet crazy.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 2:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Thats awful. See, this is bad. You cant say these things to young kids, they can take it really hard. I understand a doctor, giving advice to a mom with a child that is obese, or over weight...but this needs to stop. Every doctor should ask about eating habits,etc. Give information on healthy foods, etc. But to tell these kids that are clearly not over weight that they are, is just not ok.
    bellamommyof4

Comment by bellamommyof4 (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My daughter is a bit chunky. But even so I don't think a doctor needs to go on and on about how she's overweight. Send the child out of the room if you need to talk about weight. My DD's doc went on and on about how she is overweight and needed to go on a diet. That may be so. But I dealt with a week of sobbing because the stupid woman was insensitive right in front of DD. I don't need my daughter worrying about everything she puts in her mouth. And she was only 8 at the time! I don't need an 8 yr old with an eating disorder.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 2:44 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• yeah they r just stupid..my daughter who is almost 5 is 45lbs n they say she is over weight she is super tall for her age i think in the 90% for her age but they still say shes chunky..im like wtf. then last summer i was on a diet n would go for walks n she liked to go with me she looses a few pounds take her in for a check up then they r up in my face because they r worried that she lost weight..confusing do they want her to gain it or loose it. geez make up ur mind.
    mommyof3_21

Answer by mommyof3_21 at 2:59 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• well, the Doctor went to Medical school so....
    Based on your son's height and weight I think he is DEF a bit overweight.

In the years ahead, he could find himself with diabetes or worse. NOW is the time to help your kids eat well and eat right and avoid being even a little plump.
    I had three kids and we were all slim. We didn't buy crap at the store or eat at fast food places. We had veggies,served without sauces (cheese r other sauces add so much fat and calories) and we had grilled chicken, . We had spaghetti-made at home from a recipe and a salad with tomatos and low fat dressing. The only dessert we ever had was home made cookies. Otherwise, none f the bakery goods with fat and high fructose corn syrup. None of the sugary cereals. Just Old fashioned oatmeal.We didn't buy the easy "hamburger Helper" kind of meal . It takes care and time..and I worked, too.....if you want your family to be healthy YOU CAN DO IT
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 3:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I think just that doctor is stupid. The chart can be a good way of telling if a child is probably going to have weight issues. However, your son fits within the normal range. This is why you should always double check it yourself. So he isn't overweight. You also have to make sure that the child is proportional. Yet there are some kids that are overweight due to many factors.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 3:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• @ minnesotanice...YOU REALLY SOUND PETTY AND SNOTTY RIGHT NOW. MY SON IS OVER WEIGHT, WHEN HE IS NOT FAT AT ALL? NO FAT WHAT SO EVER. HE IS EXTREMELY TALL FOR BEING THIRTEEN YEARS OLD. HE IS 5'9 IF YOU DID NOT READ CORRECTLY. I AM GLAD YOUR WHOLE FAMILY IS SLIM. LOL, ARE YOU SERIOUS RIGHT NOW? WHO EVER SAID MY KIDS EAT JUNK? MY SON IS VERY ACTIVE WITH PLAYING BASKET BALL. HE DOESNT NOT EAT JUNK. HE EATS WHAT I MAKE, WHICH CERTAINLY ISNT JUNK. OF COURSE HE IS A TEEN AGE BOY, AND HE IS GOING TO HAVE CHIPS, CANDY,ETC...FROM TIME TO TIME, AND UNLESS MY KIDS HAVE A MEDICAL PROBLEM SUCH AS DIABETES, ETC....THEY CAN HAVE THESE THINGS ONCE IN A WHILE. ITS WHEN YOUR KID ONLY EATS THIS CRAP ALL THE TIME THAT THEY ARE UNHEALTHY. I FEEL SORRY FOR YOUR KIDS, THAT THERE MOTHER PUTS SUCH PRESSURE ON THEM TO BE SKINNY! ITS CHILDREN LIKE YOURS, THAT HAVE EATING DISORDERS.
    bellamommyof4

Comment by bellamommyof4 (original poster) at 12:31 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Exactly.....PURPLEDUCKY.
    bellamommyof4

Comment by bellamommyof4 (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• And that is why I never took my kids to well child check ups. They went when they were sick, they went when they needed their immunizations and they went for sports physicals. My sons were athletic and we ate healthy and not one of them was fat though I am sure that one or two would have been considered over weight because of muscle. For your son I bet that a lot of his weight is muscle weight. My 19yo son is 5ft.6, weighs 193#'s and has 16% body fat. He plays college football and the majority of his weight is muscle. He's on a very strict diet, eats no junk food and everything is accounted for that he eats. I am sure that somewhere he;d be labeled over weight but the weight needs to be looked at...is it fat or is muscle? And with an athletic son who is tall...I'd say muscle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2011