About those birth certificates

Someone explain the disconnect here, please.

Before the 2008 election, there were questions about the naturalization status of BOTH candidates.  John McCain was born in Panama, to American parents, because his father was stationed there at the time.  Barack Obama was born in Hawaii to one American parent and one Kenyan parent.  At the time each was born, laws about immigration and naturalization were different than they were today.  There were questions about the technicalities of each birth.

John McCain presented his paperwork establishing his eligibility, and the questions about him were answered.  It still took a hearing in the US Senate to allow him to be declared a legitimate candidate because the question was such a gray area. Barack Obama did not present his paperwork establishing his eligibility, and the questions about him were left unanswered.

Whether you personaly believe his situation is legitimate or not, unless you are a member of congress or a judge, you are not authorized to make the decision. John McCain himself was not qualified to make that decision - the legislative branch had to do it. Now, how is it that people who wanted (and those who still want) an answer to the 2nd question are racist or paranoid?  Does that not mean, by default, that those who asked for, and received, an answer about McCain were also racist and paranoid?  Why is it only racist when it's about Obama, but when it's about McCain it's a legitimate point of law that required government determination?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:27 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Easy,

One is black, the other is White...

That seems to be the bottom line. It is about race. I have looked and researched and it is the only conclusion I can come to...

But to each their own.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• i have to agree
    bchizbk

Answer by bchizbk at 2:35 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I agree with what you're saying. Like I said in another question, if I'm required to present proof of citizenship to get a job, I don't understand why it's asking too much for someone to present it to be the POTUS.

Why is it only racist when it's about Obama? Because that's all some people have.

I never complained when McCain's eligibility was being questioned. So why is there so much complaint about it when Obama was asked to do the same thing? Oh, I forgot...because those who didn't want Obama as president were racist.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:35 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• – collapse
    Hawaii is American soil, Panama is not. I don't see how Obama's birth certificate can/or should be challenged.

Do you really think that none of the resistance to Obama has to do with race? Do you really think that all people opposed to him are as free thinking as you?

To YOU it is not about race, not to everybody.
    MillyPontipee

Answer by MillyPontipee at 2:38 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• The same reason that if you have an opinion about obesity, you're "Ignorant".
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:39 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Hawaii is American soil, Panama is not. I don't see how Obama's birth certificate can/or should be challenged.

His birth certificate should not be, but there is no intention of presenting it. The truth is in all likelihood it was lost or destroyed, and rather than admit that, they kept trying to dodge and cover and cast allegations, but it's very simple how it can be and was challenged. At the time he was born with the way the law is written, there are two ways he can be considered a citizen - by being born to a US citizen or by being born on US soil. His mother was not old enough to meet the requirements of the law at the time, and his father was not a citizen. The only option left is to prove he was born on US soil.

The point is, he is not being asked to do anything that was not also asked of McCain. Either you want special treatment for Obama, or you want him held to the same standard as everyone else. Which is it?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• bowing down go get 'em, tiger!

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:45 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

You're not ignorant for having an opinion, but you are if you cannot present it in an intelligent manner.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• And what had always interested me if that regardless of a birth certificate, he attended a school in Indonesia for 4 years. At that time, children who attended school there were required to be a citizen. Therefore, when he moved back to the US, he would be a naturalized citizen, would he not?
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:49 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I don't understand why it's asking too much for someone to present it to be the POTUS.

See the first answer.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:50 PM on Mar. 26, 2011