My son has ADD. He is a very difficult child. What do you do to ease the constant battles?

My son started taking medication back in June. It is not working. I am guessing I need to speak to the doctor again. He is 12. He has major issues both academically but mostly bahaviorally. It is wearing me out to no end and I am becoming more depressed. What sort of things do you do to alleviate the stress in your home while living with a child who has ADD?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have a son with ADD and we give him Masquelier's Tru-OPCS 75MG Antioxidant for skin and vascular it is from grape seeds and it is all natural it really changes his attitude for the better. You can tell when he is on them because he is so much more easy going then when he is off of them and he is 23 years old.
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 2:58 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I'm in the same boat what kind of things does he do and how do you try and stop his behaviour
    helpwithson

Answer by helpwithson at 2:58 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My son is a little younger, (he's 9) and we are struggling with him lately. One thing that helps him though when he gets out of control is pressure. I'll wrap him in my arms tightly and he can then calm down. My mom and I are going to make him a weighted blanket, because to buy them, they are so expensive.
    mlynette81

Answer by mlynette81 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My 9 year old son has ADHD. I am a mother of 6 and former preschool teacher of 8 years...
    I give my son a magnesium suppliment, as I studied and found that 98% of ADD and ADHD patients suffer from a magnesium defficiency. This helps ALOT.
    Also, keeping him on a schedule is key. My son has lists and charts to help him remember and check off all of the things he needs to accomplish for the day. These visual aids really keep him focused and on track.
    I make sure to provide him with outlets for his energy, as there are times when he just does not have control.
    1Katrina

Answer by 1Katrina at 3:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My 8yr has ADHD and I battled with him from the age of 2 to 5, couldn't take him out in public much because he wouldn't behave and it always stressed me out. Now he's 8 and been on medicine since he was 5. In those 3yrs I've learned to give us both a "time out" and come back to the issue when both of us are calm. I know for my son, I don't ask him to do anything unless his medicine has had time to kick in. I really like Adderall (the substitute is Dextroamphet Salt). He takes 15mg twice a day and it has truly been a life saver.
    bingogurl

Answer by bingogurl at 3:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Thank you for the responses. I am going to read about the magnesium deficiency. Interesting. When I read an 8 year old was taking 15 mlg. of Adderall twice a day my first thoughts were that my sons dosage is NOT enough. He is 5 foot 5 and 150 pounds. He wears a men's size 11 shoe and is only 12! He takes 25 Mlg. a day and that's all. I am going to speak toot his pediatrician about what has been going on. It is such a heart breaking disorder but my gut tells me it doesn't have to be. I need to work harder and educate myself more on his condition. Thank you ladies. I can tell I am going to like this site very much. My marriage is an up and down sort of thing and our home life is not the calmest. I am POSITIVE this contributes to his issues. He is a child that needs routine and a calm atmosphere but he has not grown up in such. That being said I have another child ( a year younger) with NO issues... same house.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My son has never been diagnosed with the ADD officially but I really don't need that DX. It's very clear that he has some issues. I have put my son on a supplement called attention gels. It's a natural supplement of mostly DHA. DHA is a chemical in the brain that helps focus, fine motor skills, gross motor skills development. That's why it is so important for infants to get this. Here is a link to what I am referring to. The recommended dosage is 3 a day. Two a day is plenty enough for him. I homeschool him and if we miss a dosage for more than 2 days I can tell a big difference. As long as he is taking this the way he is supposed to he has NO problems at all with focus and we have way less tears.
    http://www.soap.com/product/productdetail.aspx?productid=55540
    jeng1980

Answer by jeng1980 at 2:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Try OPC3. Its worth a shot. The powdered version only. All you add is water take in morning on empty stomach. I hear it can do amazing things with ADD and ADHD and much more.

Jacquismiles

Answer by Jacquismiles at 5:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I've learned to keep there routine. I was told by one of his favorite therapist that they don't like change. So I keep my son's routine everyday the same. If there is some change in his routine I sit down an talk to him to see what we can do to get his routine back And also keep the doctors inform until his medicine get regulated where he is calm
    Combat

Answer by Combat at 7:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I have dealt with this issue for years. My son is diagnosed as ADHD with severe aggression.
    What works for us FINALLY?? It's a simple PATCH on his arm called Daytrana. After being a guinea pig for so long, I am thrilled to announce to ANYONE who will listen that there IS something out there that is working for us. I highly suggest everyone look into it if they think it will work. It stays on his arm for the day and releases the meds in all day so they don't "wear off" like the pills usually do.

My most important thought is: DO NOT GIVE UP! I almost did SOOOO many times and I know we wouldn't be where we are now if I had. There is a solution, you just have to keep searching for it.

Good luck and if you need more advice, feel free to message me anytime!
    MoNKeyBoyz

Answer by MoNKeyBoyz at 8:14 PM on Mar. 29, 2011