Any suggestions on how to completely potty train my 4yr boy?

He knows he needs to poop and pee in the toilet and will go occasionally at home, but he won't do it all the time at home or at daycare. They daycare has helped a little bit with the changes they made so he has more access to their kiddie toilets, but I don't know how else to make it permanent. He's been the hardest of all my 3 boys to train (I also have an older daughter) and nothing I did with them is working for him and I'm so tired of buying pull ups!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

bingogurl

Asked by bingogurl at 3:01 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When my oldest son was 2 was when I started potty training him. It took about 6 months to completely do it because he was so stubborn about it. He knew that he was supposed to go in the bathroom to do and would go in there to go pee no problem but it was the pooping that he wouldn't do in the bathroom so I got a little handheld game for him to play only while he was on the toilet. It worked like a charm! And the games are cheap. Like $10 at Wal-Mart. Hope that helps you!
    caseymarie

Answer by caseymarie at 6:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• What i did was put a yellow duck in the water (in the toilet) and told my son to squirt the duck. You can put a cheerio in the water also and say squirt the cheerio. Then when he's done, really congradulate him and hug him, high 5, good job, all that. He will know he did something really good. Ask him now and then if he has to go squirt the duck or ??? A duck big enough so it can't be flushed away. And let him flush, kids like to know they made it go down. They need to know they took a big part in it.
    mollybleu

Answer by mollybleu at 6:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• When my son turned 4 we went for a walk down the diaper aisle and we had a little talk about how he is a big boy and diapers are for babies and explained to him that I was no longer buying diapers because he is a big boy and not a baby. i bought pull ups and explained they are for nighttime only.
    He gave up his diaper that day and never had an accident and the pullups went on at night and came off first thing in the morning until he woke up dry 6 months later then I tossed out the pullups and he is 6.5 yrs old and wet the bed once since
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 7:49 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• oh also when he was 4 and forced him to give up the diaper he said he hated the underwear he was wearing so I got him boxer and that helped him be successful, he hates the basic underwear and will only wear boxers
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 7:52 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Stop the pull ups its a crutch,I had to find that out. My son was 2 when I trained him when I would put the pull ups on he felt it was okay for him to use in them, so I bought underwear with his favorite character on them and told him "Spiderman don't like it when you poop on him," and surprisingly it worked!
    Mommylovesu2011

Answer by Mommylovesu2011 at 9:05 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• He started potty training fine and I bought him underwear for his reward. He was doing great at daycare, but then he started having one accident after another and I kept trying to get them to help with the potty training but she didn't seem to get it together in reminding him to go enough times and the accidents were becoming more than I could handle (did I mention I'm in school full time?). So I put him back into pull-ups to prevent the massive amount of laundry that was piling up.

Hmmm...maybe now that he has better access to the bathroom at daycare, I can try putting him back into underwears again.
    bingogurl

Comment by bingogurl (original poster) at 9:10 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Update...So I went on Saturday night and got him stickers and candy for his potty rewards and on Sunday I made him wear underwear all day. He did amazing with only 2 accidents!

Today, he went all day at daycare wearing underwear with NO accidents even during naptime. I'm so freakin' happy!!!!!!! Now to just remain consistent and not give up!
    bingogurl

Comment by bingogurl (original poster) at 12:35 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Stop buying pull-ups they are a waste of money and they are just like diapers--be consistent and keep reminding him(every half hour if needed) and praise him when he does go in the potty---my sons both learned by sitting down at first and then mastered standing later on. getting them trained to poop in the toilet takes longer then peeing.

I would not put him back in diapers that is like taking a step backward. Be consistent and remind him every half hour if needed get some "special" undies and let him know that he has to keep them dry or you will have to bleach them and then they are no longer his "special" underwear. Be consistent and patient pooping in the potty always takes longer to master then peeing. Good luck and God Bless
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:13 PM on May. 21, 2011

• He's been fully potty trained since March. He only wears pull ups to bed for accidents at night. thank for the replies. I'm gonna close the post.
    bingogurl

Comment by bingogurl (original poster) at 11:58 PM on May. 22, 2011