S/O Airline question

I seen several answers stating that the airlines should just make a row or two with larger seats.

My question is:

Do you honestly think that the airlines won't charge the same as 2 seats for that one larger seat?

The airline is a business out to make money. Also, after doing some googling, most airlines will require someone who is obese to buy a 2nd ticket but if the plane is not a full flight, they will reemburse them for one.

Soniam301

Asked by Soniam301 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, bigger seats will mean fewer passengers on flights, meaning ticket costs will double to make up for the loss in ticket sales. I don;t see it happening.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:54 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• This is from a CBS news report on SW kicking passengers off.  Look at the reporter sitting on the right.  He's 6'2" and normal weight for his height.  Look at his shoulders, his elbows, and his legs.  He does not fit.  They need larger seats for everyone, and they'll charge for them as they will.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:27 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I think if they're going to make larger seats, they should either be for everyone, or they should cost more. I'd like a bigger seat too, but I'm not overweight. Does that mean I get one of the small seats just because I can fit into them? I don't see anything like larger seats for the same price happening, and I really can't blame the airlines, though I do wish they would make them larger.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I mean...the first-class seats are larger, but they charge a lot more for them. So there's already an option for a larger seat, but you have to pay for it. If they made all of the seats larger, they'd have to make the first-class seats larger as well to justify the price difference.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:22 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• And where does it end?? Movie theaters, amusement park rides, buses and trains?? IMO if someone is having trouble fitting into a standard size seat due to obesity, then perhaps THEY should do something about it, instead of demanding that everyone else adapt to their needs!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:22 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I seen that. I also seen that Delta will make an Obese passanger wait for another flight if the flight is full and they do not have 2 seats to give them.

I agree we need bigger seats in general. I flew on thursday and the poor guy sitting next to me seemed like he had his knees up to his chest the whole flight! He was super skinny, but very tall.
    Soniam301

Comment by Soniam301 (original poster) at 3:32 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• IMO if someone is having trouble fitting into a standard size seat due to obesity, then perhaps THEY should do something about it, instead of demanding that everyone else adapt to their needs!

That's all well and good, but what if they're having trouble fitting into a standard size seat due to being an average height and weight male?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:51 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• All the men in my family are of average height and weight and they fit into all the airlines seats.My in laws. My friends. They all fit.

WHat is so average..... that they don't? LOL. Must be really tall,huh? Not average.

I agree that passengers had better adapt, not the airlines.
    We DO have an epidemic of extremely obese people and children. Maybe what I consider obese is what others consider "normal and average" ???
    Is FAT the new average for the younger generation ....and nobody sees it?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:39 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• WHat is so average..... that they don't? LOL. Must be really tall,huh? Not average.

Well, if you'd bothered to click the link in my first answer you would've seen for yourself.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:53 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

My husband is 6'4 and a low BMI (as an example). He doesn't fit into an economy seat. He doesn't complain that airlines should change for him. Nope. HE buys business class, first class when he can... He doesnt expect the airline to lose money and change because of him. People have choices. The airlines don't need to lose money. People already have options.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:59 AM on Mar. 27, 2011