If a mom and dad go to court to try to get full custody of a child who is most likely to win mom or dad?

i know a woman who might have to go through that. she is a great mom always thinks of her child first before she thinks of herself she is in school and has been working for the same company for 4yrs and the dad on the other had is going from job to job and thinks of himself before his son and smokes marajuana oh and the job he is at now is only temp so he isnt hired yet. - i think the mom can win this and i think she should put him on child support! us women have to stand our ground! what do u think??

mommymamamom

Asked by mommymamamom at 3:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• She will have a better chance of getting full custody cause she has shown that she can provide stability for herself as well as her children.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:27 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• well sence they gave my ex husband residentual of our two children and he doesnt work (hasnt for the last three months) and lives with his mother... who knows ..
    Luckybear05

Answer by Luckybear05 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Whomever can provide a safe living environment, and good financial background will get custody.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:05 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• it depends who can care for the child better keep food, clothes, and roof over their child heads
    sweetangel8211

Answer by sweetangel8211 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Depends on the situation. In this situation I would say the mom but you never really know what a judge will do
    reaandiziesmama

Answer by reaandiziesmama at 4:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I would think a child is best with their mother.
    hudson101

Answer by hudson101 at 4:26 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• sounds like she would get it, but my sister did lose custody of her kids to 2 different fathers. but she was drinking all the time and i think thats what hurt her.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:35 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I don't think a child should go to their mother by default, but I think your friend has a great case. Most states are getting rid of that mother-default rule, which I'm happy about. My husband is fighting for joint custody of his daughter. The mother is 20 with 2 kids, lives in a trailer with her girlfriend, a crap car, and puts herself first. We both have steady incomes (he has two, Army), a steady place (condo), a reliable vehicle, and better finances. Just tell your friend to bring all documentation she can, and to keep a positive attitude. I'm sure she'll be just fine, since she seems to be more prepared and responsible than the father. Are they going for joint?
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 6:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Well in our court system here in the US the mother 99% of the time gets the child unless she is totally messed up on drugs don't have a place to go with the child...abuseive etc...then he will get the child but the courts like to keep the children with the mother.
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 8:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• It is extremely rare in this day and age for either parent to get sole custody of a child. She most likely would get primary custody and he would get visitation, but only in rare circumstances will they not grant visitation to a biological parent.

Answer by missanc at 8:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2011