Friend is going through this

In order to get more honest opinions, I am not going to say which side my friend is on but she is the mother of one of the teens. Here is the situation: a 15 year old girl gets pregnant by a 16 year old boy. In our state, this is not a crime. However, a lawyer told my friend that the boy's parents could be ordered to pay the girl child support for the baby since the boy is still in high school and under 18. Because of the amount of people living in the boy's parent's home, it is not possible for the baby to be shared 50/50, visitation will only be during the day one or two days a week. At this point, both sets of parents are aware of this. Is it right that the boys parents will probably have to pay child support (based off of what they make) for the child? This amount would total about $500 a month. On the other side, is it fair that the girl's parents are going to have to support the child 100% if the boy's parents don't pay the child support when BOTH teens are the parents of the baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• i think the boys parents should pay it but make there son get an after school job to pay them back
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 3:44 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• well it depends but i feel both sides should pay
    sweetangel8211

Answer by sweetangel8211 at 4:08 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• The boy should be getting a job and supporting his own child. You chose to have sex as a teen and you should know that there are ADULT consequences.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Do the parents really have to pay child support? That is insane. I am torn on this because it is both of the teens responsibility not their parents.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 4:45 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Yes, the parents usually do in cases like this because as the girl is under 18, they can't kick her out, however they also can't make her give the baby up for adoption or abort it so they have no choice but to let the girl and her baby live with them at least until she is 18. I guess this helps so the girl's parents aren't left holding the bag for everything.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I think it is fair and if I were the grandparents of the child my child (son or daughter) would be getting a job.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:01 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• It's more than fair, seeing as it's for the support of the child in the equation, who has no voice and no power. Both sets of grandparents and both of the child's parents should be doing every single thing they can do to help the child, and they should be doing it out of love, not because they were ordered to.
    Anonymous

• i honestly feel that it's both the parents & the teen's responsibility personally... first who would let there kids have unprotected sex at that age & second it's honestly not my place to say anything but i say its fair for both sides to pay & then make the teens get jobs when there outta school during the summer
    proudmommy_0811

Answer by proudmommy_0811 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I would say that the mothers side is not the only ones responsible ffor the child. I guess if the two parents are two oung then yes the parents of both teens should help.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 11:38 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• No I dont think the grandparents should pay, I think the daddy should pay, he can work at 16
    greenbeanmoma

Answer by greenbeanmoma at 8:35 PM on Mar. 27, 2011