Are baby walkers out of style?

I'm starting to shop around for a walker for my daughter and the selection at any store is just horrible. It seems like it's all about the bouncers now. Are they the replacements or is some people buying both? I am not planning on doing that but I want the most beneficial for my baby.

Asked by Anna-Chubaby at 3:45 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not only are they out of style, the American Academy of Pediatrics says they can be deadly. And they do not assist with walking; they can even delay it.

Best benefit for your child? Neither walker or bouncer but a sling so you can be on the go with baby.

That said... we had an exersaucer back in the day.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:00 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Many parents use baby walkers to give their their children exercise. Unfortunately new research from of New York at Buffalo and Case Western Reserve University indicates that rather than helping these devices may slow the development of infants, particularly in their development of skills like sitting upright, crawling and walking

Answer by feralkitten at 3:59 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• reserch that has shown baby walkers are not good for baby . so i personal dont own one
    so now everyone uses bouncers are there better for babys

Answer by feralkitten at 3:48 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Nobody really uses them anymore. I remember when my kids were babies I read article after article talking about how much of a safety hazard they are, so we didn't get one. I don't feel like we missed out or anything.
    If you feel like you really want one, I'm sure someone is still making just may have to look around a little harder. Good luck.

Answer by vicesix at 3:55 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I did not have one for my son. i did not knowthey still made them

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Yeah they are, because they are unsafe and not helpful in the development of the baby. The ones where the babies stand up and push are much better.

Answer by banana-bear at 4:26 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• i'm not really sure but they do have a couple of cute ones on

Answer by mamawilbur at 3:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• i dont here much about them nemore. my son had something like a walker but it didnt move he just sat in and it had springs to jump. he didnt care for it much though

Answer by kimsmith22 at 4:09 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I used to have a bouncer (DD is too big now), I have a walker (she loves it), and I'm planning on getting an exersaucer (sp?).

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Oh, has a great selection...I have a hard time finding cute ones in stores too.

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 5:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2011