He literally wont eat solid food

My doctor said I have to start giving my 7 month old cereal and solids 3 times a day but when I try to give it to him he buckles his mouth shut the moment he smells it. He wont even let it touch the inside of his mouth. I've tried so many different kinds of food and even tried making it myself but he doesn't want anything to do with it. I need help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies sole source of nurtition for the first 12 months should be breastmilk or formula. Food is only for experiment. If he doesn't want to eat, hold off. He'll get the hang of it eventually.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:40 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Babies who are ready for solids can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more.

Listen to your baby! Babies with a tendency to allergies may refuse solids until later in their first year. As long as they are growing well and are happy and healthy, there is no need for concern.

see "Why delay solids" at http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    and "When to start solids" at http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-when.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:42 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Is he to hungry? Sometimes they are more willing to "play" with the food if their belly isn't full or having hunger pains. You could try incorporating it into his bottle time, ex. give him some of the bottle and then take it away and give him a spoonful. Or just wait a couple hours after his bottle and entice him to try it. You know, pretend your eating some and then try to give him some. Put a little applesauce in the cereal to make it more appealing. Also, he probably doesn't understand what he's supposed to do with it because his mouth is designed only to let fluids past. So, it will take quite a while for him to learn. I used to take whatever was left in the bowl and put it in my daughters bottle. Cut a little hole in top to allow the cereal to pass through. Good luck...hope i've helped!
    jessicer421

Answer by jessicer421 at 7:49 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Try fresh mashed sweet potato mixed with breastmilk/formula. At 7mos solids are only a supplement. Do your own research on foods. Docs only follow guidlines there are no concrete studies on the baby food timeline. All we know is you should wait 6mos for solids. Babies need Iron but iron fortfied foods are not easily absorbed and cause constipation. Dark stools are a sign of this. Look for foods with natural iron and mix in a dash of vitamin C to aid in absorbtion.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:40 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• he is just not ready dont' force him doctors dont know it all
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:45 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• every baby is different - our oldest was on solids by 3 months and hasn't stopped eating 14 years later... middle child started around 6 months.... our 4 month old baby looks at the spoon like "what do you think you're doing, woman?" :-)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 10:02 AM on Nov. 27, 2008