How much time does your cat spend indoors?

We started feeding a stray 2 months ago. This cat has gradually worked its way into our home. It now comes at night and stays in our bedroom. It leaves for most of the day, returns at times to eat, but stays in each night. We're curious if maybe it has another house it goes to during the day or if this is normal cat behavior.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 3:51 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Pets

• Well, 4 of mine never leave the house. The one indoor/outdoor we have actually stays inside more during the day and goes out at night. Most indoor/outdoor cats I've known stay in at night and out during the day, though.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:57 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• its normal, my cat sleeps in doors but wanders away during the day, most his been gone is 4 days, I used freak out but now I know he'l come home.
    DawnLauren

Answer by DawnLauren at 3:58 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My cat is an indoor cat...he has never been outside.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 4:00 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• When I had an indoor outdoor cat he would be outside all day and come in at night. I would let him out at 8 in the morning and wouldn't see him until it got dark.
    Unless the weather was bad, then he would chill inside and be cranky all day lol
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 4:06 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• We have 3 cats that spend most of their time inside. They only go out once in a while. We have 2 other cats that were strays and now show up nightly to come in. When we get up in the morning they are ready to go back outside!
    HeidisMom800

Answer by HeidisMom800 at 4:08 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• All of our 3 cats are inside always~~Except when the oldest one somehow snuck outside and was gone for a week. Just wish she could talk and tell us about her adventure. LOL
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 5:04 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My cats are indoors 100% of the time. They could get lost or hurt by another cat/dog/predator/car.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 6:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My baby does not go out. My big boy, goes in and out all day. He asks to go out like a dog. We try to get him in before bed, because we live in the country and are afraid of coyotes.

dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My cats r totally indoors!!!! Be careful if the cat is not fixed u will have kittens!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:03 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• For an outdoor cat this is extremely normal behavior. My outdoor cat is welcome to stay indoors as long as he would like. He comes in for sun naps, but refuses to stay in except for bad weather. Occasionally we will not see him for a day or two, especially in good weather, I think he goes on a walkabout, but eventually he shows up again every time. He is neutered and we definitely have wildlife around here, but he manages to stay out of the way of coyotes somehow. I think this is the best cat in the world, and as much as I would like him to stay in, he will not.

I did not make him an outdoor cat, he was dumped somewhere nearby because he appeared out of the blue one day. We have had others like that.

This cat knows my car and will gallop from out of the woods or the field right down our road after my minivan, but not my husband's truck or any other cars. And when my children open the door, he jumps in. He is a real card!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:01 PM on Mar. 26, 2011