Bad handwriting

my 8yo has had several notes sent home concerning his handwriting. he speeds to get his work done and its always sloppy and unreadable. at home i make practice his writing regulary, when hes doing work i make him erase it and re write it when its sloppy.. what else can i do hes only in 3rd grade.

kimsmith22

Asked by kimsmith22 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i have to this day EXTREMELY bad handwriting i try and it doesnt get better when i was in grade school my parents would make me sit and write all my spelliing words over and over until they looked neat.. still didnt help
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 3:54 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I don't think there is anything you can do.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 4:09 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• maybe just try telling him to not speed through everything and just really focus on making the letters readable
    wifey000175554

Answer by wifey000175554 at 8:10 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I agree with tazdvl....I don't think there is much you can do. My son is now 22 and he always got in trouble for his hand writing. For my son, I figured out that he wrote sloppy because he was unsure of how to spell words. If his writing was sloppy, he could dispute that the words were NOT spelled the wrong way. It may be something you have to deal with his entire school career.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:41 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• That's about all you CAN do. Until he decides to slow down and write more clearly, he'll be spending a lot of time redoing stuff. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it does have to be legible.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:39 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Some kids are like that. Maybe after enough rewriting something will click and he'll learn to slow down.
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 28, 2011