Has anyone dealt with a child having suicidal thoughts?

We were told that our 12 year old daughter has been talking about killing herself at school. She is often depressed and feels that she is not loved or fits in with the rest of the family. We have tried making sure we spend more time with her, and talking to her to find out what is going on. She does have an appointment with a cousoler next week. Now she thinks she should not have to do any of her chores or help out with anything. Any advice would be welcomed

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• just make sure she knows that she's loved and wanted and make sure she makes it to her counseling appointment
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 3:53 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Will make sure she gets to all her apointments for sure! And we try and make sure she knows we love her no matter what!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My thoughts and prayers are with you. We are dealing with the same thing with our 11 year old son. He is now in counsiling and he is doing better. We have learned to not let him get away with not doing chores or school work. Also the counsler said if he continues to say he wants to kill himself than take him to a hospital and have him evaluated and it will scare the crap out of him because they will make them stay and if they are just doing it for attention or to get their way the childrens syke ward is not where they want to be. Good luck and god bless.

ahughes2772

Answer by ahughes2772 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• when i was her age i also wanted to kill myself & i was serious & i said it @ school! i had allot of bad things happen to me & i just didn't want to handle it anymore. I'm telling you this because you never know whats in our kids heads or if something really bad happened to them theirs usually a reason shes saying those things & it may be attention or maybe bullying we never know so that's great you are getting her help but you might wanna consider a mental hospital i know it helped me & they can make sure she don't harm herself & she will get to talk to someone asap! I'm sorry i know this is not easy & i really hope things get better for you.

jordysmom12

Answer by jordysmom12 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 27, 2011