How to gain weight healthy?

I have trouble gaining weight. I'm a 20 year old female and I'm 4'11" and weigh between 85-89. I'm also trying to conceive so I have to gain weight and get to a healthy weight. I would like to be it least 100 pounds, I would like to know how much calories I should have is it 2000 or should I have 3000? I'm really confused on how much and what foods and how many times a day. Also how many Ensures should I drink a day to help me get enough calories?

bellaambru90

Asked by bellaambru90 at 4:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Try to avoid saturated fats, because they contribute to heart disease. You can add healthy fats like avocado and olive oil. You should probably try to meet with a nutritionist to help you get a good nutrition plan. Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:31 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• wow sound like ur in boat. i make sure i eat every meal and small meals in between. I started drinking those carnation instant breakfast drink. I buy the kind that you just mix in with milk and they are awesome. Drink either 2% or whole milk. I drink one of those in the morning instead of or with something for breakfast. Oh and snack dont be afraid to eat lol good luck i understand what your going through though. Weird question but do you have problems with your period??
    his88angel

Answer by his88angel at 4:54 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My period is irregular it's 26-40 days just depends so I don't even know if I'm ovulating cause I have no body fat it's so frustrating and nobody understands lol cause they have the opposite problem but I'm borderline anorexic weight even though I've never in my life had an eating disorder. The most I've weighed was 115 but ts when I was very active swimmer. Once I got outta high school I lost alot of weight no health problems, my doctor has checked lots of things and everything is normal but they told me I'm underweight and that it looks like I'm not ovulating every cycle so to drink Ensure.
    bellaambru90

Comment by bellaambru90 (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• imo, ensure is not good for you. i understand that you want to get pregnant, but drinking sugared milk is not good for you. i would think aiming for 2000 calories a day might be a bit much. it is ok to be small, but you need to be healthy. do you take a fish oil and or flax seed oil? it is very good for you. are you eating your veggies and fruits, 8 a day? are you eating your grains, brown rice quinoa are great. I would eat protein every meal to gain weight. eggs, fish chicken and beans! i would cut dairy.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:56 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• There's a show on tv in the UK called Supersize vs Superskinny, and the doctor from the show also has a book out by that name. The premise of the show is that they pair up someone very overweight with someone very underweight and work with both of them. The website has had sample meal plans up as they air new episodes.  The new season starts this coming week.  They also have other general articles that might give you more ideas too.  (they don't air the show here, but you can find it on You Tube)

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:24 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Oh I wish I had advice for you....all I have to do is think about food and the weight piles on =(
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 9:32 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• cheese
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:46 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• omg everything you are going through is what im going through also. I had a sun and i weighed 125 afterwards but it all fell off im around 97 pounds and everyone is always yelling at me to gain but they just dont understand how hard it is. I understand wear your coming from if you want to talk just send me a message
    his88angel

Answer by his88angel at 1:35 PM on Mar. 27, 2011