Did you hear about this? Marijuana may cure cancer

General Information

Cannabis, also known as marijuana, originated in Central Asia but is grown worldwide today. In the United States, it is a controlled substance and is classified as a Schedule I agent (a drug with increased potential for abuse and no known medical use). The Cannabis plant produces a resin containing psychoactive compounds called cannabinoids. The highest concentration of cannabinoids is found in the female flowers of the plant.[1] As a botanical, Cannabis is difficult to study because of the lack of standardization of the botanical product due to the many climates and environments in which it is grown. Clinical trials conducted on medicinal Cannabis are limited.

The potential benefits of medicinal Cannabis for people living with cancer include antiemetic effects, appetite stimulation, pain relief, and improved sleep. In the practice of integrative oncology, the health care provider may recommend medicinal Cannabis not only for symptom management but also for its possible direct antitumor effect.

Cannabinoids are a group of terpenophenolic compounds found in Cannabis species (Cannabis sativa L. and Cannabis indica Lam.). This summary will review the role of Cannabis and the cannabinoids in the treatment of people with cancer and disease-related or treatment-related side effects.

References Adams IB, Martin BR: Cannabis: pharmacology and toxicology in animals and humans. Addiction 91 (11): 1585-614, 1996. [PUBMED Abstract] http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/cannabis/healthprofessional/page2

Friday

Asked by Friday at 4:35 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Well thanks for the information there Friday... but, all the same... I think I will pass. I'm not into that sort of thing and smoke in general, makes me want to puke.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Then I'm assuming several cafemom members should be safe from the big C.

I still won't be smoking any. The laziness, apathy, food-scarfing, and illegality of it sort of offset any potential cancer-fighting benefits. I'll stick with a natural diet and exercise.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:39 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

Answer by vicesix a minute ago

*************************
    Me TOO!!! Good answer! ;-)
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 4:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• If they would ONLY legalize it and Tax the crap out of it, We could SOLVE All our deficet problems in a few short years and have ALL the $$ we need for social security, medicare and health insurance. It's NOT any worse than booze!!! Iv never heard of anyone getting in a car accident because they were smoking pot and lost control but booze makes everyone a bad driver.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:43 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• It doesn't surprise me a all, it does have a lot of medical benefits....

Answer by older at 4:45 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Well, not to get into a fight with you vbruno, but I have done plenty of drugs and drunk plenty of alcohol in my life so I am well aware of how they affect people's lives, including driving skills. I'm not proud of it, but I have driven stoned and I have driven drunk. Neither is safe.
    I'm tired of people arguing about how booze is worse...I'm not saying it isn't. I don't drink anymore either. If someone wants to argue for the legalization of pot, that's fine. But I don't think that saying it should be legalized just because alcohol is legal is a good argument.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:49 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I don't doubt it at all.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:50 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• What a joke! People have been smoking dope foever, if it was a cure it would have been known years ago. Take Vitemin C that has been know to work.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 4:51 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• It should be legal because it's not the govts place and prohibition doesn't work.

I didn't post this to encourage everyone to start smoking pot but thought it was a interesting, scientifically.

Friday

Comment by Friday (original poster) at 4:52 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I don't believe that it is suggesting that marijuana cures cancer but that it helps those undergoing treatment not suffer the side affects as greatly and therefore be in better shape to recover.

I live in a state where marijuana is legal for medical use and those who have a license can grow it for themselves.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 4:53 PM on Mar. 26, 2011