High -Risk HPV, anyone? adult content

I had my first ever abnormal pap March 3rd, and was also diagnosed with high-risk HPV. I've Googled the hell out of it, and I know it's very common amoung younger people, and people with a higher number of sexual partners (in their lifetime). I've had more than my husband, but both of us have been with people who had HPV. Of course, this was before I knew all about it and had done my research =[ I'm bisexual, and a girl (you could say ef-girlfriend, but she was a terrible one) I was with a few years ago had it, but told me it was dormant. My stupid self assumed it was okay, and like an STD (as far as transferring goes). DH's baby mama had it while she was pregnant with her first (not his, but they were together). There's no way of knowing where we/I got it, and it annoys me. I had a colposcopy this past Thursday (the 24th), and the doctor said it looked mild, but is definitely HPV. She took a sample of my cervix, which made me cramp like hell embarrassed mini  I've come to terms with the fact that I have it (I hope mine'll clear in a few years, like They say), but I was just wondering if anyone else is dealing with this shit...

JustCantWait88

Asked by JustCantWait88 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Health

• I wouldn't blame yourself so harshly. There are a TON of strains of HPV...upward of 100, and they estimate that 80% of people who have had sex with someone other than another virgin carry one strain or another. The scary thing is that of these many, many, strains, only a few are known to be harmful (they're not sure what the other strains do...but it isn't an obvious health concern). The harmful strains are associated with genital warts, which can be burned off with little to no recurrence, or cervical cancer, which is what it sounds like they are testing you for.

My guess is that the difference between "low" risk and "high" risk is all in the type of strain you have. If it was one of the seemingly "harmless" strains, they would probably classify it low risk (if they even caught it at all, because I don't even think they check for all of the strains), but the "high" risk would be the harmful strains. Keep following up with
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:20 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Well, all I can say is that it's definitely something that is being researched... you will find no clear answers, unfortunately. Doctors are also very unsure about it. I do know there are two (??) types. The type that affects your pap and could eventually cause cervical cancer and the type that causes warts. The type that causes warts will not eventually lead to the type that affects paps, from my understanding. That's about all I know. Also, I've read that something like 75% of people will have it or get it eventually.... some may never show signs, some will. So, although you can't point fingers, I guess it's best to advice the younger generation just to assume that everyone has it and take proper precautions.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:34 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I had to and I have no shame. Shit happens imo. When I was pregnant, they had to put a camera in my vagina and I think they put some vinegar inside. Using the camera they could see the reaction. At the time they told me my chances of being positive for HPV was really high and they'd need to re-test me after I delivered. Being pregnant can alter your test results. Thankfully after she was born I tested neg. Whew.

GL

There are 12 types of low-risk HPV: 6, 11, 10, 42, 43, 44, 53, 54, 61, 72, 73 and 81. Of these, 6 and 11 are the most common, causing genital warts.

There are 100 strands of HPV; 60 of these cause warts on our hands and feet and 40 transmit through sexual activity.

HPV has infected 20 million Americans and the Centers for Disease Control estimates that number will grow by 6.2 million each year.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:00 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Yeah, they did the vinegar to me too, but not with a camera. They used a big magnifying machine thing. They told me that since I'm only 6 months postpartum, it could be due to inflammation. We'll ee!
    JustCantWait88

Comment by JustCantWait88 (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• your doctor, and in the mean time research HPV and cervical cancer.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• From what I've read and been told, low risk is wart, high risk is cancer. I guess I'd rather have the cancer scare than warts...but I'd rather have neither. So far, everything looks okay.
    JustCantWait88

Comment by JustCantWait88 (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• The camera was really interesting. My vagina/cervix was on a TV screen for everyone in the room to see lol. Very odd.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Haha I'd wanna see mine. That'd be kinda cool!
    JustCantWait88

Comment by JustCantWait88 (original poster) at 7:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2011