Should schools be punished for making false sexual child abuse allegations?

The school called DYFS and said possible sexual abuse of DD b/c of irritation but never called me first. HMMMM, maybe b/c DYFS had to go and question the school about a fight between Dad and his father 2 months ago and now the school and nurse are LOOKING for things. DYFS told me to take DD to a doctor and that would suffice as proof of no abuse. The doctor was sooo sweet and said school nurses bring up "garbage" and she's sorry and see no indication of abuse. Yeah, I straight out told her why I brought DD there. So, bactroban for the rash and even a 25% discount b/c the doctor felt bad for me. At least DD has the cream that will help better than the Desitin. The rash really isn't that bad. Just a couple of pimples on her leg and minor irritation by her you-know-what. ;) Bunch of nit wits with way too much power at school and DYFS.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Anyone?
    Anonymous

• Schools are obligated to report any incident that may be abuse. Its required by law. I don't see a problem with this. I know its inconvenient for you, and might make you look bad, but really the law is in place to protect children.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:02 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Teachers are one of many career paths that have a manditory reporting law. If they dont report it they can lose their license. Im sure it wasnt personal, but they have to do their jobs or theyll be out of that job.

Answer by gemgem at 8:06 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I was going to say exactly what the other posters said. They are by law required to report. Oh, my family physicians office always gives 30% off when paying with cash. Most offices do give a discount. I think they where just trying to make you feel better by saying they would take 25% off.

Anonymous

• If the school "suspects" any form of neglect or abuse regardless of the findings they are legally obligated to report it. I can't believe a doctor's office would say such a thing and be serious. Maybe they were trying to calm you down. These laws are around for a reason: to protect children and it does not matter how you feel. They did the right thing.  The school can't worry if you will be upset or angry, it was about doing right by your child.  If they had called you would have had an explanation, but in the case of a suspected issue, that's not good enough.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 10:12 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Well, I guess you would rather have something happen and it not be reported? Have someone look the other way? Seems like there is some info missing... why was the school nurse looking in a private area of your child unless she had a complaint? If she just yanked your child in and made her drop her pants, well, then I guess you can go after the nurse. Go work in a school and see the abuse they see. So you had an inconvenience, you straightened it out.. or are turning a blind eye.
    Anonymous

• While I understand that they have an obligation to report abuse. . .but a diaper rash is hardly a sign of sexual molestation. That's just harassment. They should have a system where there has to be something concrete, like blood on the diaper etc. for them to report, or at least perhaps orientation for the teacher so they are sure what they see when they see it.It would both Save taxpayers dollars, as well as your own, allowing them (the authorities) to better deal with the cases that are actually valid.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 11:25 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Teachers DO have orientations -- who said it was a diaper rash? Is this a school or a daycare? Is your child in K-6 still in diapers? How would a teacher know they had a rash? I thought it was the nurse. Do daycares have nurses?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Something is just not "right" with this story, and now mom is on notice. Enough said.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 10:41 AM on Nov. 27, 2008