What do you do for a horrible cough??

My son is 22 months old and has a horrible cough. He has a really bad runny nose and i'm pretty sure that the cough is being caused by drainage. He doesn't have a fever. He is coughing really hard and it sounds really bad. It's keeping him from getting a good nights sleep. I have given him some Benadryl but it's not helping. What do you all do for a bad cough?

etanert

Asked by etanert at 6:08 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can try with the steam shower thing or humidifier. The Sudafed should have dried up the cough a bit. You can also try propping up on a pill (under his shoulders) to see if this helps sleep. If it's really nasty, he may need a steroid. Call the nurse line.
    Anonymous

• Delsym for the cough, Tylenol/Ibuprofren(sp) to help him sleep. Call his pediatrician.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:12 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I'll have to take him to the clinic on monday... it's a saturday night here and it's 11:14 pm.... i don't know what to do for him until monday
    etanert

Comment by etanert (original poster) at 6:14 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I agree about the Delsym but be very careful on dosing. Don't panic. You may even need to sleep with him or something.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:15 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• he can take Delsym even though he's 22 months old??
    etanert

Comment by etanert (original poster) at 6:16 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• try a vaporizer with vic in it works wonders... and yes you can give your litte one the Delsym I have a 21/2 yr old and I give him 1/3 of what it says to give a 6 yr olld...In fact I am doing that right now have have been for the past 3 days. Stinks to have sick little ones
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 6:27 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• try Hyland's Cough Syrup. It is honey based and works very well. I buy mine at Wal-Mart and they probably have it at other pharmacies like Walgreens, etc. it is over the counter and 4-5 $. It lasts a long time. Hope this helps.
    I also like humidifier and vick's vapo-rub to help ds sleep at night.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:11 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• We give my 3 year old Claritin everyday. He has asthma and allergies and his doctor has said he can get this everyday to help with the runny nose and cough. It has made a huge difference.
    amann575

Answer by amann575 at 10:47 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• the best thing to clear out his little lungs is to strip him down, vicks his nose and chest, throw a bunch of vicks on the tub where the shower hits it, turn it on all the way hot, and sit in there with him til neither of you can stand it anymore. he probably won't like it, but it'll loosed all that crap up and he'll cough it out. also, it'll tire him out just like a bath so he should sleep like a rock afterwards. good luck.
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 7:26 AM on Mar. 27, 2011