How can you put so much stock in the bible when…

A man (not a holy man) Roman Emperor Constantine was the one who put the bible together and he LEFT OUT over 20 books Examples include the Gospel of Peter, the Gospel of Mary, and the Gospel of Judas. (All of these were discovered in modern times) because he didn’t feel the message went along with the “Christian” message. I don’t get it. They told very different stories about Jesus and things he said about faith and religion. Can anyone explain to me how you can put so much of your faith in an incomplete book that was out together by an MAN who was NOT a leader of the church?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Religious Debate

• popcorn

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:56 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Where are you getting your information from?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:56 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• That seems to be a fair question. I am not a theolgian so I don't feel qualified to give you a straight answer other than faith. I've read the entire bible several times and I don't feel it is missing anything. I could see reading the missing books for fun, but I really don't expect it to add anything to what I know already. Faith and diligence in reading it multiple times is what makes me trust the bible.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 7:00 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I choose to.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:03 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• eye rollingbanging head into wall

cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 7:04 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Very good answer meooma. Because it's my choice and I choose to. Oh and FYI anon troll coward, have you ever bothered to read the New Testament? Guess what it contains BOTH 1st and 2nd PETER!
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 7:05 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Well i know there is much more information that would have been put in the Bible from the beginning, but we wouldn't be able to carry it around and probably never get it all read in our life time. So i believe that we have only what we can read, study and deal with individualy. Also the Bible has what is most important for us to absorb or remember & try to live by to get us back home to our Heaven Father. It has the basics i'll say. I have Faith that God gave us what we need for now. He says there are things that we do not understand and don't need to know right now. I believe that the books would reach around the world that are not in the Bible right now. We have what we need to get on with our lives here and back home, the basics.
    mollybleu

Answer by mollybleu at 7:10 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I'm no theologian, don't put much stock in the bible. I think it's a fascinating work, worthy of much study and debate, just like any secular book. I do, however, choose to believe many of its teachings, like the notion that Jesus was the son of God, and that he offers us the chance for eternal salvation. That said, I also think it's important to remember that the Bible was compiled by man, and that men are inherently flawed. I also think that it is important to remember the historical and cultural context of the book. However, I feel it is much more important to remember that the Bible is not the Christian faith, but a basis for its teachings. My faith is not defined exclusively by the Bible, but also by my own experiences, and my faith. In short, only my relationship with my God defines my faith, not a book. I think people on both sides of the debate will disagree with this stance, but I don't mind. I know what I believe.
    lytate95

Answer by lytate95 at 7:11 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• – collapse
    I think those who do, do it because they're told to, or because their peers do, or because they prefer not to examine these books critically.
    Maybe it's a conditioned fear that stops them? Or sloth, lack of education, or an egoistic addiction to thinking that what they currently think, is already true? Could be a number of things.
    clarity333

Answer by clarity333 at 7:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• I dunno. After reading parts of the Gospels of Mary and Thomas, the Bible just seems like nothing. They really do paint different pictures. Plus you have the fact that the sect of Judaism Jesus was part of was well known for teaching exactly what Jesus did. They just weren't well known in the western world. Then again, Jesus probably grew up in a more eastern region.

Some people simply do not do the research though and do not know this information. Others believe that the message of Jesus was preserved. Others believe God has made sure of that. And yet others state that this information is false or just try to ignore it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:26 PM on Mar. 26, 2011