Gifted 8 Year Old Refuses to do Homework

My son seems to be too smart for his own good. He has always been strong-willed, which has its own challenges. On top of that, we found out late last year that he has high intelligence. Well, we've had an ongoing problem all school year - he refuses to do his homework.

Homework is more difficult than last year (thankfully) because he is in the gifted program at school. Last year he finished it in 5 minutes and got virtually all of the answers right. Now, however, he procrastinates constantly to the point where it does not matter what the consequences are, he still won't do it.

Every privelege has already been taken away. It looks like he will miss an upcoming field trip. His teacher experiences similar problems in class whenever the work is something he does not like. She said some gifted kids won't work on things that don't interest them.

Anyone out there have a similar problem? What did you do to resolve it?

RobotLady

Asked by RobotLady at 6:57 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The boy may not have associated the harder work with a greater sense of accomplishment as yet. It sounds like a classic case of Fear Of Failure/Fear Of Success. Look at it from his point of view--he excelled and his reward was (in his mind) harder work and more of it. He had it easy before, he may believe that if he fails to do this work, he will be able to go back to Easy Street. Sit him down and talk with him and listen to him about how he feels about things, his answers may give you more insight.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:17 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• sounds like he is just stuborn
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:03 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• maybe he has a problem following directions or rules..idk? my kindergarten son is in enrichment classes..i was so happy to hear from that teacher just the other day that she thought he was very intellegent and that his smile lights up her class room. she also told me that she will be putting him in her AP 1st grade class. I was blown away! I've never gotten a bad letter sent home for him..he is a great listener. I think it all starts at home with listening
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:08 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My DD is above average in most of her classes at school as well. We found out that she was acting up out of boredom, not defiance. Maybe this is the case with yours and the homework?
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 7:11 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My older 2 kids 8 & 9 started having the same problem. My 9yr has no issues, but my 8yr has ADHD. On top of taking the items away from my kids until they finished their homework, I spoke to my childrens daycare teacher to make sure they did their homework before playing on computers or games. Another thing, the school started a study group time during recess for those who didn't finish their homework. This cured both my kids because they didn't want to miss a recess.

My ADHD son sometimes has trouble focusing on his homework, so the nights he seems to be struggling a bit more, I sit with him and walk him through a few problems at a time then reward him. It may take us a bit longer to finish, but it was getting done without a fight.
    bingogurl

Answer by bingogurl at 7:12 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Maybe he is bored bc it doesn't stimulate his mind? Ask about tests to maybe place him in the correct grade or program? But, if he is already in the gifted program, they probably already did that. Good luck.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 7:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I agree with fistandantalus
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 8:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Buy a few things and tell him he can pick one thing at the end of the week/month if he does his work without fighting about it.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 8:34 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• maybe the other work was to easy but this work might be a little bit to hard? all you can do is ask him about it.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2011