What to do if your spouse does not want more kids

I think the question explains it.

juliewmotmoms

Asked by juliewmotmoms at 8:08 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in General Parenting

• Don't have any.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:09 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• We eventually separated. He didn't want children. I sought my own identity, and things rolled from there on until life drew us apart.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 8:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I'm not sure. You love each other, but the issue of children can draw people apart. I don't know how I would handle it, but hang in there you heart will pull you in the right direction.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:13 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• after the birth of our 4th child, i joked around and said "ready to make a 5th?" so it was a joke for a while, and yeah i said it more then once. our youngest is now 2 and now he doesnt want to joke around and really does want another child! so maybe just do it for a joke and let it sink in for a while till he really does want to have another?
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:22 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• We have one beautiful daughter and my husband doesnt want anymore kids.

Right now i dont want to have anymore kids either. I want to enjoy as much time as possible with my daughter "alone". But I always wanted to have at least 2 children. So it actually makes me sad that my husband doesnt want more kids. But we are young (mid-20s), so maybe he will change his mind someday. If not, then we stick with 1 ;) hehe
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:26 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• We had two kids and just bought a new house when I started teasing that I wanted another baby (now that we finally had the room!) Our kids were 13 YO and 6YO at the time, and my husband was dead set against the idea. When I found out I was pregnant with our third I was scared to death he was gonna freak out or leave me. He said "take a test" and was very distant, but when the test came back positive (at 4 in the morning, we couldn't wait any longer to find out) he started calling all his family at 6am to wake them up w/ the news! He had names picked out before breakfast and started getting the babys room ready that week! Now we have our youngest son and I can't tear him away from the baby! just goes to show..... just when you think you know someone they completely flip around on ya.... :-) but my DH probably isn't like alot of guys.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:27 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I can't give you any advice. I am in the same boat. We have a 4 year old & a 20 month old. Both girls. I want to try for a 3rd & hope for a son. But dh says no, he is happy with 2 kids. He also says, since having 2 kids, I don't show him as much attention, so a 3rd will take more of my attention. I honestly think & hope, that in the next year or so he will be on board & want to try for another baby. I wanted a large family & he knew that when he married me, I wanted 4 kids. I wanted 2 girls & 2 boys. I don't know why he has changed his idea/plan of our lives.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Apr. 21, 2009