Around what age (average) should children start taking showers pretty much by themselves?

my daughter will be 7 in august and we have had shower problems every time for the last 4+ years. she has very slowly progressed. trust me i have tried everything. now i dont take showers with her anymore but i have to sit in the bathroom or she freaks out. its always a long drawn out thing. and im just over it, im tired of getting stressed over something so dumb especially when im 3 months pregnant right now. basically because my strategies in the past havent really worked now its just "suck it up and do it because you are always gonna have to takea shower or a bath for the rest of your life" iv basically blocked out all the whining and if she doesnt knock it off i give her a swat on the butt to get her attention. basically im looking for ideas, agreement, or POSITIVE opinions ty

wifey000175554

Asked by wifey000175554 at 7:58 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Around 9 or 10
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 8:04 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My son is 7 and has been showering on his own and properly for 2 years now. It sounds like she is afraid? Maybe let her take baths, see if she knows all the steps. She has plenty of time to grow up.
    luv.my.kids.365

Answer by luv.my.kids.365 at 8:06 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• try leaving the door open to the bathroom if at all possible. Mine are under 4yrs old but my aunt used to do that with my cousin for a while this way but he eventually closed it.
    CrazyMommy87

Answer by CrazyMommy87 at 8:11 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I'm not sure but I remember needing help to wash my hair around 7 years old. Not too long after I was doing it on my own.
    banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 8:15 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Do you have a bathtub? If so I would let her take a bath, sounds like she is scared of something.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 8:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• she is still learnoing how to wash her hair so that is the only thing i help her with but yes i do leave the door open and we have see through curtains so she doesnt feel clostraphobic or anything and as far as baths she said that she doesnt like washing her hair in the bath she would rather wash it in the shower.........but yea the main problem is washing the hair...i tell her close your eyes and she doesnt listen its not just the soap in the eyes that freaks her out its even the tinniest drop of water trickling down her face. and when its time to rinse she just backs up in the water for 2 seconds and steps out so we have to do it over and over
    wifey000175554

Comment by wifey000175554 (original poster) at 8:43 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My almost 6 year old does everything buthi shair by himself now. I used to have to sit in the door way and watch him becasue he would be scared and freak out but these days he is okay, I gave hum some tupperware bowls and a couple of sponges and he "washes the shower while he is in there. LOL
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 9:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Honestly, she sounds A LOT like my 4 year old. She freaks out if any water gets near her face. I have been working with her on telling her to hold her head back, letting me block her face with my hand and to practice deep breathing if she starts freaking out too much. I also try to get her to concentrate on how relaxing and nice it feels to get her hair washed. It's been working recently, so I am glad the nighttime bath routine is not so stressful. Another thing you might consider is a detachable shower head. That's what I use and I find it helps to really target the hair and keeps the water out of her face.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:45 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My dd7 started taking them by herself at the beginning of the school year. It took her awhile to get the hang of washing her own hair and I would have to check her to make sure she gt all the soap out. Otherwise though she been fine. She doesnt really like water in her face either.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My daughter hates water in her face too. I just give her a wash cloth to cover her face with while I wash her hair and rinse it. It has helped a lot.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:30 AM on Mar. 27, 2011