Anyone else not raising thier kids to believe in Santa?

My husband and I have been going back and fourth about Santa. He grew up believing in Santa and I didn't. He wants to pass that tradition along to our daughter, I think its stupid and we shouldn't lie to our daughter. I feel if she knows that Mommy and Daddy work hard for what she receives she will have a greater appriciation for things. I have decided to let him have his way, but I still feel its stupid. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Holidays

• My kids didn't believe in it. They were always allowed to play "pretend", and let their imaginations grow, but we didn't feed into it. They mostly played along with the Santa story for their Grandma's benefit. Because he was on every street corner, they couldn't figure out how people could believe he was real. And if he was that wonderful, they couldn't understand why all the kids sitting on his lap at the mall were screaming in tears.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:13 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My husband's family did the whole Santa thing, my family did not. However, we are thankfully on the same page with this issue. Our children will be aware of the "Santa" tradition, after all we are surrounded by it at this time of year, however, we will not lead our children to believe that this Santa is bringing them gifts. As a family we will give gifts to one another and our children will know the very real person whom a gift is from.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:15 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My daughter wasn't taught to believe in a Santa. ( I wasn't either.) I also allow my daughter her own religious decision too. I do believe that Jesus was a good man, but a man only.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 8:17 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I'm not really sure about the whole santa thing. Me and my brother grew up believing in Santa and I loved it. I cant remember the day when we finally got to know the truth. I love the whole Santa thing, the only part I dont like is when you have to tell your child the truth. But I dont think our little girl will call us liars just because we wanted her to have a beautiful christmas.

And I still learned to appreciate the hard work my parents did all the years to support and provide for me and my brother. This has nothing to do with christmas. Thats a matter of parenting.

God i love christmas, i cant wait. so excited already. haha
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:22 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My boyfriend and I both grew up believing in Santa. My daughter isn't here yet (she's due next month), but I think we're just going to skip the whole "pretending Santa came" thing. We'll tell her all about the idea of Santa, and what he stands for, but I just think that sneaking around on Christmas Eve is just too much work lol. My parents went to INSANE lengths to hide stuff from me and my brother. I think Santa has a lot of good moral values and lessons that kids can learn, but they don't necessarily need to think he's real. I don't think it'll take away any of the Christmas spirit though =] I still had lots of fun on Christmas even after I found out Santa wasn't real.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:29 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• i think that if you wanted to let your kids believe in santa, that when they grow up and learn that its all in the christmas spirit and that you were really the ones providing the presents, they will look back and know and appreciate all that was done for them. its just a kids imagination.
    Anonymous

• I think that you are being considerate & it's nice that you are okay with the idea of letting your daughter use some of her imagination. This is one way of how we learn to use are own creativity's & talents, so good for you! That's very thoughtful. There are ways of creating a Santa & I'm sure if you ask anyone, they would ALL have a different point of view on who Santa is to them. For me Santa stood for anything good, such as love, kindness & giving. It just made something else in this amazing world seem the much more magical & mysterious. I'm sure as your daughter gets older & See's what you do for her each & every day she will learn the appreciation of wonderful parents.

onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 8:36 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Very good answer by anonymous at 8.29pm.

Thats was kind of what I was looking for as an answer for what I should do with my daughter. I remember all the stories my parents keep telling every christmas about how Santa Claus (the neighbor) came and took away my pacifier when i was too old for it and how my brother was begging Santa to give him a nice gift. My parents always had a Santa coming for us and I loved it. I will do the same for my little girl. I think and hope she will appreciate it as much as I appreciate every single christmas my parents made for me and my brother.

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:40 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I loved believing in Santa and I want my daughter to believe in Santa as long as she will. I think it is fantastic for their imaginations and I think telling her would take away from the innocent magic of it all. She is only three and she was so excited to see Santa at the mall today and I LOVED watching her tell Santa her wish-list for the very first time. I guess when I learned the truth, I didn't think "MY PARENTS LIED TO ME!" or anything, just that I was "grown up" enough to know the truth. To be perfectly honest, I would be thoroughly p!$$ed if another child told my daughter Santa wasn't real because they had been told the truth early on...so if you're not going to do santa with your kids, please let them know other people believe it and not to go "spreading the word"
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I personally don't really celebrate the holidays only for my Mothers birthday she is a Christmas baby. But i believe that children should have the limitless freedom of believing in whatever mythical creature their little hearts desire. I was brought up believing in Santa and i remember being sad when i was told he didn't exist, yet who is to say that he doesn't in fact exist, what ever religion we practice we believe in a God yet we have no proof he actually exists so who are we to say whether or not something does or doesn't exist, We need hope and to believe in whom ever we choose gives us that hope, and in such gives us happiness. If we didn't hope the our out look on life would be very grim!!!!
    DragoFly

Answer by DragoFly at 9:26 PM on Nov. 26, 2008