Does your 15 year old have a job?

Wondering this day and age kids seem like they do not want to get a job but they still want the car, and we pay for the car insurance and gas. I believe just because they are old enough to get their permit than they should be old enough to get a job..We need to teach them to be RESPONSIBLE now, before they think that just when they want something they should just whine and get it. What do you think?

Apryl9

Asked by Apryl9 at 8:13 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• My daughter did, yes. She actually started working for a gymnastics place at age 15. I babysat at that age, and had been since I was about age 10!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:15 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My 16 year old is working at Best Buy. I was told the legal age to work is 15 1/2 years. I love it too. I was so tired of buying those $100 sneakers for back to school. Now he does it, but we still support him a little still.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My son never had a job during his teen years at home.. Nearly 20 and still doesn't. . His job is/was pursuing his education.

As far as having a job to pay for things like: car, gas, insurance..etc.. He has never had those things ( I haven't even owned a car during his entire life).. So there was no need for him to work to help pay for them.  

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 8:20 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My kids (both 15) don't, but they also don't have a car, or the latest smart phone or whatever. My son is actively looking for a job at the moment, and my daughter babysits. Aside from birthdays and Christmas presents, they're expected to pay for most non-necessities on their own.

lytate95

Answer by lytate95 at 8:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My children didn't have to get jobs until the summer after they graduated from HS. Before that, they were so busy with band and church activities there wasn't time for them to work AND have their activities AND go to school.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:26 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I agree entirely. My daughter had a parttime job, funny, then she didnt want to spend the money as freely, she learned quick, the value of the money that she worked to earn. Although as a young adult, now, she is gonna need a refresher course...spending too much money on frivolous items.
    JLP2009

Answer by JLP2009 at 8:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• i had a job at 15 but i was pregnant. they only get to be kids for 18 years. they have to be adults for 50+ years. they have the rest of their lives to over work their selves into exhaustion and worry their selves sick about financial problems. let them enjoy childhood while they still can because once it's gone, you can't get it back. school is a job. MOST parents don't have to go to school and work so why should they have to already juggle this and deal with the extra pressure? just let them enjoy the few years of pure bliss they have left. don't you think they deserve something for working hard at school 5 times a week? you knew when you decided to become a parent that you would be responsible for buying the things they need and even some things they don't until they're 18.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 8:34 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Oh to ad to the question. This 15 year old is the most lazy and irresponsible kid I have ever met. She is a straight A student but since her mom is a dead beat mother/addict, and her dad not biological dad works alot and now me that just got in the picture doesnt give a who. She is failing 9th grade, she is already abusing drugs/having sex. She gets anything and everything her little heart desires, she thinks now that she has a new stepmother that she doesnt have to do chores unlike all the other siblings in the house have to. She has a cellphone, gets lunch money, hangs out with her friends with no curfew. I have told her she needs to either babysit or get a job in August when she is 15 1/2. She thinks that when she turns 15 1/2 she is gonna get a car of her choice, and doesnt have to work. Oh and remember she doesnt do her homework or is she ever home cuz she runs to her friends house to get out of things.
    Apryl9

Comment by Apryl9 (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Not at 15. In the state we live in the legal age to get a job is 16 unless hardship can be proven plus we wanted our sons to adjust to high school homewortk, sports and other activities before adding a job to the mis. The summer in between the 10th and 11th grade they each started working 12-38 hours a week (more during school breaks and less when they had a lot going on and could only work weekends) though starting when my youngest was 8 and my oldest was 13 (the 2 in the middle were 9 and 12) they all started their own lawn care business where they mowed lawns, raked and shoveled snow and the summer before my oldest turned 15 and his brothers were 13, 11 and 10 they started working delivering papers. The route was in our name but they did all the work and got paid. They learned young to earn their own money and I believe it's made it the men they are now at 19, 20, 23 and 24.
    tracylynnr31767

Answer by tracylynnr31767 at 12:56 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• In OH 15 1/2 they can get a job. You also said she is abusing drugs. It is hard to find a place that does not require a drug test. If she test positive she will never find a job as a teenager, or an adult.
    mlanderson

Answer by mlanderson at 10:25 PM on Mar. 28, 2011