Have you ever been accused of being too much of a friend to your children?

Mommylovesu2011

Asked by Mommylovesu2011 at 8:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes ppl accuse me of it all the time
    EricaLaShay1025

Answer by EricaLaShay1025 at 8:27 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• yes, by my mom, when my oldest was a teenager. Just because, I let her know that she could talk about anything with me, so I could know what was going on with her. Although, the mother-daughter boundary was still there. She new what standards were acceptable and what behaviors wouldnt be tolerated. My mom was a lot more old-school.
    JLP2009

Answer by JLP2009 at 8:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Me personally, I can and only will speak in regards to myself and my son..

No, I have never been accused of that one.

My son will soon be 20.. He has been told his entire life that I am his mother.Period. I am not his friend, I will never be his friend. I will always be his mom. Does that mean we aren't "friendly" that we do not have a close relationship.. Of course not, we are extremely close, have a great relationship, greatly enjoy each others company and so on.. However, I can never be his "friend" because I am his mother our relationship will always be on that basis.. Friendship, the interpersonal relationships between friends, is a very different relationship than a mother/child on in my eye.s
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 8:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• no
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 8:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• No. They knew I was Mom.
    But my kids could come to me about issues .There is nothing wrong with that.It has nothing to do with boundaries,
    However,I let them k now I was boss and I wasn't going to allow them to be irresponsible or disrespectful. I had high standards and expected them to be honest and do their best in school,with plans to go to college.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:45 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I just believe that my kids should have opinions but everyone around me says I'm crazy!
    Mommylovesu2011

Comment by Mommylovesu2011 (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Mommylovesus2011

Of course children should have opinions, and encouraged to have/develop their own. That's part of growing up, that's part of them growing and become their own individual self with their own thoughts/ideas/outlooks on life and all it entails.. Allowing children and encouraging them to have their own opinions in my opinion has nothing to do with being their "friend" and everything to do with being a parent who is raising their child(ren) to be their own person.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 9:07 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Never will be. I'll never cross that line. They can make friends in school but I'm the parent.
    Ronique1989

Answer by Ronique1989 at 10:43 PM on Mar. 26, 2011