Is it normal to have to use the bathroom a lot when exercising?

I have been excersing every day for the last week & a half, mostly cardio & have lost 7 lbs. Ever since then i have to go quite frequently. Is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• It depends on how you're changing things. If you're having increased bowel movements, are you eating more fiber? Are you eating any more, since exercise can make you more hungry? If you're urinating more, it may be that you're losing some water weight (the first week of exercise can make you lose a lot of water weight), or it could be that you're taking in more water since you're exercising. It can all be normal. Your urine should run clear, so up your water intake until you get to that point.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:17 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Yes...and it's great!! Appreciate it....I have it where days go by with no relief!! Great job on the 7lbs!! Keep up the good work!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• More fiber, more water.....I assume those are part of your diet, and would cause more frequent trips to the bathroom. Also exercise increases your metabolism, which increases your digestive rate, which also results in more frequent bathroom trips =)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 9:26 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• i have increased my water intake a lot & have been eating about the same which is 2 or 3 small meals a day. When ever i have to use the bathroom it's mostly to poop. It's good to know it's pretty normal because i was starting to think something was wrong. Thank you ladies for your help!

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• It's normal
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 9:27 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I go a lot when I go walking. I think the more kids you've had, the more you're going to have to go no matter what you do.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• If you're drinking more water, then normal, then yes. And you should be keeping hydrated while exercising, it can prevent muscle cramps.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 10:17 PM on Mar. 28, 2011