How to thaw the turkey?

So my Dad who makes the turkey every yr said to thaw the turkey by putting it in a bucket of water and place it in the fridge the day before thanksgiving. Well since I am big pregnant I decided to stay home and make my own turkey(I have done it before). DH put the turkey in our spare fridge in the water really early this morning(Wed). Well now I am hearing(not from my Dad) that you are supposed to do this as a 3 day thawing. ACK! Will my turkey still be frozen thurs mornning???? What should I do??? My turkey is 12lbs

Lynette

Asked by Lynette at 8:21 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Food & Drink

• put it in the sink in cold water over night
    Anonymous

• Probably yes it will be. You need at least 3-5 days to thaw a turkey. I would get up really early in the morning and cook your turkey slowly. Allow extra time for it to cook.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 8:25 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• surround it with some hair blowers :D

nah serious... use warm (not hot) water... change the water every so often. that should help. and it will also take forever to thaw when you have it in the fridge ;) even small things take forever to thaw in the fridge.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:35 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My grandma would put it in the bucket of water but not in the fridge. It would take more than 3 days to thaw it in the fridge. If all else fails get a fresh one.
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 8:44 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Well I have thawed turkeys out in a salt water solution. the salt not only thaws the ice or frozen turkey but it also can tenderize the meat as well. It also gives it part of the flavor! I estimate 24 hours not three days. Now if you would like to marinate which I don't have time for now,you can add a day and a half,just poke the turkey with a meat pick or fork to help the meat get marinated. Or a baster and flavor injector works really well. Anyway Happy Thawing!!! by the way I am 9 months pregnat due christmas! what about you?
    loriec

Answer by loriec at 9:01 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Hi loriec, I'm due Jan 13th but I tend to go 2wks early.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 9:21 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I usually go by what the package says..You can thaw it in the fridge for days or what i did was stay home all day and change the water every half hour.COLD water. My SIL is chef.So iim gonna listen lol. I also bought a back up turkey breast that can still be frozen when you put it in the oven just in case its not thawed in time..

ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:01 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• yeah turkeys take days in the fridge. first thing this morning, take that bird out of the fridge. leave it on the counter for a little while so it is soft on the outside a little. take it out of the plastic if you didnt do that yet. clean your sink really well. fill it half way with cool water. prepare your bird by taking the stuff out of the inside so its a big cavity in there. put it in the water so the cavity fills up and leave it in there a while. You can change the water every 15 minutes or so. hopefully you will feel it thawing in an hour or so. then take it out and dry it off, it will still be part frozen, but should be softer. then cook it, giving an extra hour probabbly. you will HAVE to use a meat thermometer to check for doneness since the time is an estimate.
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 6:41 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• it turned out great, thanks all!
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:01 PM on Nov. 27, 2008