How do i explain to my 3yr old his sister aint comin back from heaven?

LindasueDa

Asked by LindasueDa at 8:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• My oldest was 3 when my middle son passed. He asked the same question. We just had to keep telling him "once you go to heaven you can't ever come back" He was about 7 when he really began grasping the concept of death. I'm sorry for you loss. I know exactly how bad that hurts.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:49 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I would let him ask questions and go from there. I am sorry for your loss.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:50 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Just tell her that his/her sister is playing with the angels in heaven and she has to stay there until you all come to met her !
    Mommylovesu2011

Answer by Mommylovesu2011 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I have tried to let him know that his sister is an angel for God now and that he will see her again one day just not any day soon. It just gets harder when he looks at her picture and starts cryin cuz he misses her
    LindasueDa

Comment by LindasueDa (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I don't know but I just wanted to say I am so sorry for your loss.. i can't begin to imagine your pain... My prayers are with you and your family..
    gutterflower585

Answer by gutterflower585 at 9:13 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• thank u. she passed just about a month ago from a rare form of cancer. In 2 days itll be a month. its still pretty hard
    LindasueDa

Comment by LindasueDa (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I am so sorry for your loss. You might plant some flower bulbs or a small shrub/tree in her memory. It is a project you can do together and every time you look at it you think of her, especially when it blooms. You could also put together a special photo album of favorite pictures that only belongs to him. There are nice children's books that might help with this also. Just ideas...........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• thank u
    LindasueDa

Comment by LindasueDa (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• We lost our middle son when our oldest was about 2yrs old. Whenever it comes up, we just tell him that his brother went to heaven with the angels and he can't come back anymore. It was hard for a long time because he really didn't understand, but now he's 4 1/2 and he seems to at least get that his brother isn't coming back. It breaks my heart into a million pieces to hear him say he misses him and wishes he could play with him, but I know we did the right thing explaining it to him from the beginning. Alot of people suggested that we just ignore it and explain it when he got older bc he wouldn't really remember him anyway, but I just didn't feel right about that. It's hard to explain the situation, but in the end I really thing it's the right thing to do...I'm so sorry for your loss and wish you strength to deal with all that comes with it...
    mommykat613

Answer by mommykat613 at 12:58 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• i wish it wouldnt of happened to u. it is the worst thing in life i have ever experianced! i tell him she is an angel and isnt comin home. sometimes he is ok with that answer and then at times he gets mad and says God needs to return her and he was hers first. its devastating. it breaks my heart
    LindasueDa

Comment by LindasueDa (original poster) at 1:01 AM on Mar. 27, 2011