Does my child know he's lying at 3? And what about my daughter whose 6 who says she doesn't lie anymore?

Mommylovesu2011

Asked by Mommylovesu2011 at 9:16 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't think they know know, but they know enough to try to keep themselves out of trouble.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• You mean "Who took the cookie off the counter" "Not me" kind of lying? Unless they have a brain injury the know they took the cookie and are telling you different. In that way they know they are lying. Do they really understand ...depends on the kid. 2 of mine clearly understood about it by age 3. One that didn't 'get it' until a little past 4.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:20 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• The 3 yr old doesn't know right from wrong yet. There is a lot of imagination, tho. Just ask if he's telling you a story or is this what really happened. The 6 yr old may be telling the truth. I told mine that lying would get worse punishment. Tell me the truth and we'll talk about it.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 9:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• If a 3 yr old has been taught they most certainly know SOME right from wrong. If they know no right from wrong Mom and Dad are behind the eight ball already.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:32 PM on Mar. 26, 2011