Protin

Can a person eat to much protin in a day? Espically when lossing weight. Thanks. I haven't been able to set up my doctors yet that's why I asking here.

I was under my calories yet again however I was over on my protin.

red_head_mommy2

Asked by red_head_mommy2 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Protein is essential for losing weight which many people do not know. A diet lower in calories and higher in protein is great for losing weight. I have been doing it myself and taking in about 20-40 grams of whey protein in shakes a day and still eating other sources of protein as well. I work out about 20-30 mins a day at least 6 days a week and I have lost several inches, gained and toned my muscles and lost some weight. I have been doing this for about 5 weeks now and it's working great for me.
    TattooedMama87

Answer by TattooedMama87 at 9:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Yes. Too much protein can strain the kidneys, and other organs

Answer by rkoloms at 10:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Like rkoloms said, too much protein is very hard on the body. You can go to mypyramid.gov to figure out how much you should be eating.  If you eat too much of it, it starts getting used as energy.  Protein isn't a "clean burning" fuel source- its byproduct is ammonia (the same stuff you clean with).  The body processes this into uric acid.  It takes a lot of work for your body to process and eliminate this excess protein, and too many calories of any kind will be stored as fat.  Try not to overdo it on any particular nutrient (carbs, protein or fat).  Good luck!

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:14 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Interesting musicpisces. I knew it was not a good idea but I did not know all of that.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:09 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• A bit more protein than normal while intensely working out isn't too bad, but you don't want to overdo the protein on a daily basis. Musicpisces says it best as to why.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 9:24 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• depends upon the KIND of protein
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Interesting, didn't know that.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 9:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2011