Would you be mad to? Dh tried to be a good neighbor...

My husband was not a really caring person when it comes to other people but lately he has been helping out others which I find very refreshing. Well we have a neighbor that moved here a few months after we moved in and my husband made friends with him. They talked often traded tools typical neighbor relationship. We have shared food with me and stuff like that as well. Well my husband noticed 2 months ago the our neighbor had a really small old tv like ones people have in they're kitchens. We had a 40 inch tube tv and upgraded last month to a bigger LCD flat screen. So my husband decided to give the nieghbor the old tv so he could watch tv on a bigger screen. A week ago my husband went to run an errand and when he came back he saw the tv we gave him sitting outside his door and he was talking to some people that were clearing they're back seat. I saw from our window the people load the tv in the car and pay our neighbor money for it. I could tell that my husband was upset about but he did not say anything. On top of that our neighbor has not came over since which is unusaul. Do you think my husband shouldn't be upset about it? I mean our neighbor gets money from SSI and an agency pay all his bills I think because he has an illness. My Dh gave the tv to him just a few weeks ago to enjoy not to sell. I just hope that it does not change my husband's mind about helping out others.

momavanessa

Asked by momavanessa at 9:26 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Relationships

• wow,that guy sure has some nerve! I'm wondering what he would say to your DH if he had not seen him sell it and had asked where the tv went...

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Me personally.

No, I would not be mad.. Once I give someone something it is theirs to do with as they please. Once it is theirs and not mine, it's no longer any of my concern what they do with it.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 9:35 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• lightbulbi would feel a little upset but i would get over it because he might have been really hard up for the money. maybe he was very thankful when he got the tv because he saw $ signs and it allowed him to get stuff he really NEEDED. although the tv was a nice gift he didn't need a tv, so he might have sold it to purchase something he needs. either way he benefited from the gift. it would be a different story if he threw it away in the dumpster.

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 9:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I would be highly irritated and so would my husband. I'm not sure exactly what I would do but I think its BS
    TattooedMama87

Answer by TattooedMama87 at 9:43 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Atleast my husband wants to still share food with our other neighbor but that neighbor is my uncle's childhood friend that I have known for most of my life so that is different.
    momavanessa

Comment by momavanessa (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I know you DH wanted the guy to enjoy the TV, but maybe he NEEDS the money. My dad won the lottery. He wasnted to build me a garage to Enjoy. I NEEDED the money, not a garage. Just a thought.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I am very sad for your husband. His feelings must really be hurt, and I don't agree with what your neighbor did, but once a gift is given, the receiver has all the choices. I really do hope this experience does not sour your husband on being kind to others. Tell him what he's done will come back to him tenfold, no matter what others have done.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• It probably will. I would be upset, too. It's like getting slapped after helping someone. But, not everyone acts like your neighbor did. Some people really appreciate help and friendship.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 9:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Mad? No...sad and hurt? Most definitely :/
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:51 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• WOW THAT IS HARD , I THINK I WOULD JUST MENTION IT TO HIM BY SAYING THAT IF HE NEEDED MONEY HE COULD HAVE ASKED AND U WOULD HAVE HELPED HIM IF U COULD
    frances693

Answer by frances693 at 10:16 PM on Mar. 26, 2011